A Certain Flash of Inspiration [Completed]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c
Race: Fae and Human
Class: Bard and Summoner

Re: [Open] A Certain Flash of Inspiration

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

At his invitation to stay she felt a small smile at the corner of her lips. It was gone in a moment, but her thoughts were already whirling about. “If you’d sing me your rarest song, I can promise to be an enraptured listener,” she said as she began to trace another of the more delicate carvings.

When the food came, she took a subtle but strong inhale. The aroma was pleasingly light, with a hint of sweetness and spice. It instantly put her back in the sunlit cafes of Ajteire. She offered the serving girl a nod of appreciation and dug into her meal. As she expected, Vanessa enjoyed the food a good deal. It was difficult to find good Elven cooking in the city.

Besides the surprising quality of meal, she found her elf company to be everything she expected from a bard. A bit brash, painfully self confident, and eager to ask questions one shouldn’t ask upon first meeting. She did have to hand it to the man, no one had made her choke on her drink in many years. “I’m sorry, I reside in the city, with my uncle,” she said, covering her mouth and using her napkin to dab at her chin.

She looked away from Raen in an effort to recompose herself but her eyes gleamed in mirthful shock. That was when she spotted the half-elf at the bar. Her eyes narrowed, and she just barely resisted the urge to form an image of the woman in her hand. “I hate to bring poor news, but I believe that woman took your coin,” she said, nodding towards Mila.

"Miss, I believe you have a story to share," Sir Archibald said towards Mila as Vanessa turned her expression into a imperious mask.
Word count: 300
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Bard

Post by Raen Silver »

"Well I hope your lodgings are as comfortable as such a master of her art, should be. Soon, I have no doubt you'll be entertaining the Lords and Ladies of the Noble Houses! Though given your heritage, that might not happen, just like for us Elves ... you're part Fae, am I right?"

Raen's eyes Vanessa's at the woman's comment, and he turned to see a scrawny young peredhel stood at the bar. She had robbed him? Wasn't she last in here with Katarya and her handsome Human lover?

That made is complicated; this girl was technically the responsibility of his fellow almá, but he was hardly about to let it go.

So he affected a warm smile and called over to her. "Namárië, peredhel! Won't you join us? I don't think Almá Katarya is here at the moment. Come now; as beautiful as you are, you look like you could use a good meal." His smile widened, and his eyes were full of mischievous glee. "I insist!"

Raen flicked his gaze and gave Vanessa a wink.
Word count: 177

"There is no greater gift than that of verse well given."
Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Rogue

Post by Mila Glade »

MIla was frozen for a second when Raen called out to her.

Was he being friendly, or did he know? She felt a little guilty about stealing from a fellow elf, but Kaxitaki's servant did not discriminate as such. There were rules, of course.

When the strange voice came from Vanessa's lips about a 'story to tell', she got a little nervous.

But she gave a shrug. It's be best to act as if nothing had happened. She made her way over, mug of ale in her hand. "Namárië, Herú, and to you, Herí." She said, using formal titles for them out of respect. Best to play the part. "Thanks for inviting me. I heard you sing t'other night. You're good." She looked at the puppet, her interest more keen on this one. "Your show today was great! I've never seen anything like it before. When will do another one? I'd love to see it.
Word count: 156
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

She looked somewhat perplexed for the briefest moment at Raen’s question. “I am yes, though I suppose the windows to my soul give that away. I’ve never had any particular trouble with the more open minded nobility. My mother taught me enough that I needn’t worry,” she said as her expression faded back into the mask.

Vanessa didn’t acknowledge the thief immediately when she approached. Instead she looked just past the woman, completing a particularly interesting carving tracing. ‘Need to ask who knows the story of the vinebear,’ she thought as she made the final stroke with her finger on the table.

“Thank you, I always appreciate an involved crowd,” Vanessa said, leveling her gaze on the thief. “I am uncertain when I will next perform. I often only work when I am invited,” she added with a nod towards the boxed stage pack beside her.

“<<Who is flower Katarya? What makes her a flower?>>” Vanessa asked, not taking her eyes off of Mila. She wanted knowledge, though she imagined this little tidbit was some inane thing like a useless title. There were many such things, particularly among the nobility of Fellsgard.

Not immediately waiting for an answer Vanessa turned and lifted the top of her travelling stage box. From inside she removed Sir Archibald and gently placed him to rest sitting on the tables edge. "Does the flower bloom only in moonlight? Does it grow only in the deepest snows? These are the stories I wish to know," Sir Archibald said glancing at the two others at the table.

Vanessa's movements didn't quite seem to match with Sir Archibald's motions. There was movement, deft and minute, but it was unclear exactly how it controlled the tiny man.
Word count: 296
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Raen Silver »

>"Almá is a rank, or position in the Kelbé. I'm an almá too. Having a certain position gives you certain privileges. I don't know how the names came about. It was all set up when I arrived, though it might have something to do with the old noble houses of the Kersoka.<"

He turned to Mila as she approached, giving her a welcoming smile. "You have my thanks for your compliments, young peredhel. I aim to please; whatever the audience." He motioned to her ale. "I'm sure you can do better than that swill! Please, have some wine."

When Sir Archibald began to talk, Raen clapped his hands in delight, but then cocked his head. "Either you are a true master of your craft, herí, or you're using magic." He glanced around as he spoke. "Best to keep that to a minimum in here. Salquë using magic on the premises might incur the terrible wrath of one of the higher ups." He warned her.

But he played the game, and inclined his head to the puppet. "I am sure you can match me tale for tale, noble sir! Though I am always happy to oblige the nobility!" He glanced to Mila. "Mayhaps our young peredhel might have a story or two ... something with risk and reward, something about taking from the rich and giving to the poor; such a classic tale!"
Word count: 233

Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Mila Glade »

Mila didn't really like win; she had been brought up on ale and mead. Wine just didn't taste as satisfying as a good ale. Even this cheap stuff was as good as the stuff at Ajteire, the delicate Fae preferring sweet wines and spirits. "Good with the ale, thanks." She said, but gave him a reassuring nod, to show she was grateful for the offer.

Her eyes widened when the puppet seemed to be moving on his own. It was one thing to throw a voice and change it, but it was quite another to do this! When Raen warned her about using magic. Didn't they have a witch in residence.

"I don't got no stories than will be half as good as yours, or yours." She said, motioning to Vanessa.

Apparently, they seemed to expect her to reply to the puppet-knight. She wondered who she had ended up in company with. Mad people or mages?! "Erm .. hello, sir." She really could not think of anything else to say.
Word count: 169
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa was disappointed to hear the flower was not something particularly interesting. Though it was not a new experience. When Raen accused her of magic she actually smiled.

“It’s terribly rude, good bard, to make such accusations of a lady,” Sir Archibald said, placing his head into his hands before shaking it slightly. Then he was back, looking around and making eye contact with the others.

Vanessa had Sir Archibald shift his spot on the table slightly, revealing the delicate chains at his back that were entwined in her fingers. She tugged them deftly and Sir Archibald bowed at the waist with an extravagant sweep.

When Mila spoke to him Sir Archibald levered himself up and turned to face her. He took a step towards her and bowed. “Hello, Miss. You needn’t feel it necessary to speak with me. I am merely a storyteller after all,” Sir Archibald said as he nodded towards the thief.

“I wonder, if it were magic, would it be as exciting?” Vanessa asked to no one in particular. “And could one receive permissions to make things exciting in this place,” she said, more as an aside than a question.

“Have you heard the story of the magpie and the fox?” Sir Archibald said, raising a hand out to Mila.
Last edited by Vanessa LaNore on October 26th, 2019, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 216
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Raen Silver »

"You could use magic here, if you moved up a little. Perhaps take a contract or two, then you could even join the illustrious Kelbé family! Just like me ... what an honour!" He grinned.

When Vanessa revealed her trick, he gave her a nod and smiled in appreciation. "So you are a true master!. Perhaps we could arrange a performance for you here. The boss isn't stingy with her coin, but Elves in Fellsguard can be a prickly sort ..."

When the puppet addressed Mila with his offer of a tale, he grinned. She was the one who had took his purse: he thought this might be a fitting subject! "I for one, would love to hear it."
Word count: 117

Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Mila Glade »

Mila looked between the two, and of course, the puppet. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She didn't really like Raen's grin, as if they were on to her. Maybe they were.

She took a drink of her ale, and shrugged. "Not that I can remember." She said. "Does this mean I get a free show?" She asked, trying to sound excited, and not nervous. She should not have come in here.
Word count: 72
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

At word that a place could be earned Vanessa felt a twinge of annoyance. Everyone always wanted you to prove yourself. Time and again it was hardly worth the effort. Perhaps she could speak with the people in charge and establish an exchange instead. Having a source of Elves that was active in Fellsgard, rather than scattered to the winds, would be terribly helpful.

Her eyes sparkled as Raen accepted her show of skill in the control of Sir Archibald. “I am truly a man without strings,” Sir Archibald said and did a small dance to show off. The idea she could receive more coin for simply telling her stories was terribly enticing. Particularly if this bard had unique stories, self-made or otherwise.

Sir Archibald turned back to Mila and reached out a hand to his side. Vanessa sighed and rolled her eyes before rummaging in the stage box. After a moment of clinking and shuffling she handed the tiny knight a small leather book. Sir Archibald examined it, flipped it over, and sat down with the book on his lap.

From this close the others at the table could see tiny detailed pictures and words on the pages of the book. Sir Archibald turned a page and a painting of a magpie was on the page with a large and elaborate ‘T’ beginning the text beside it.

Sir Archibald cleared his throat twice and patted his book with his free hand. “There once was a magpie, shiny and brave. She had a lovely nest she’d built in a holly bush over many days. Inside she kept her young, to grow strong and smart like her.” Sir Archibald turned the page and a painting of a fox was revealed.

“One day, while the magpie was away, a fox came, hungry and clever. The fox found her nest, digging its snout into the bush with relentless need. As the magpie returned she spotted the fox and prepared to swoop. He ate her young and ran off before she could, leaving only a feather behind.”

Sir Archibald shook his head sadly as he turned another page. The magpie was now beside the fox. “Days passed, and the fox had nothing to eat. Searching, he came across the magpie.”

“It is a fine day,” said the magpie.
“The day is fine but I am hungry,” said the fox.
“You can have enough to eat soon,” said the magpie.

“Two girls came carrying tubs of food for the men in the field. One of them carried slices of buttered bread and the other fresh curds. They placed them down and went to get the men for lunch,” Sir Archibald said and turned the page to show a bird sitting on a tub.

“You’ll have plenty, I will throw some down,” said the magpie, tossing slices of bread and curds for the fox.

“The fox ate, and ate, relentless in his hunger. Soon he had stretched his belly and lay moaning.” Sir Archibald turned the page again to reveal a reclining fox.

“I know a doctor,” magpie said, flying off. “Though I will not fetch him for you,” she added softly to herself.

“The magpie flew to the men and their hounds, telling them a fox had taken their food.” Archibald turned the page to reveal a hound, the foxes neck in its mouth.

“The magpie returned and landed on a tree near the fox.” Sir Archibald said.

“Do you bring medicine?” asked the fox.

“Not medicine, but you will be out of your pains very soon,” the magpie said.

The fox cocked his ears, “Hounds come!” he cried.

“Yes,” said the magpie as hounds caught the fox and tore him to pieces.

Sir Archibald closed his book and bowed his head. “A terrible lesson to learn, but perhaps there are smarter foxes,” Sir Archibald said before setting the book aside.
Word count: 648