Getting Schooled

Mila had lost her father, but had gained some friends. Still, there were purses to grab, houses to rob, and contacts for the taking.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: Getting Schooled

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis drifted well back from Mila, letting the half-elf do her work without him looming over her. When she wasn’t actively trying to stab people she seemed to actually be talented at robbing them. Though she was heavily reliant on the bump and grab method. He’d need to teach her to be a bit less obvious with her methods or she’d start attracting the wrong sort of attention.

Each time she moved on from an area Artemis would drift in and caress an extra few coins from pockets, purses, and countertops. There wasn’t typically terribly much easily taken given that Nyx and Mila were making an excellent pair.

When they were about half way through the district Artemis made a move forward. He wanted to talk to the woman before she went into the more heavily guarded bazaar area. He moved like a man with purpose, stepping past dawdling shoppers and inattentive merchants alike. He managed to stealthily slip into the alley where Mila had taken refuge as Nyx flitted down to land on her head.

“You’re doing well,” he said, silently walking up to her. “Find anything else interesting?” he asked her as he peered at the small ring she was holding. “Either way, I wanted to let you know that there’s going to be more wary folks ahead.” He pointed at the next street corner. There were tightly packed stalls and the road was significantly narrower.

“The bazaar is a much more bustling place. Some pickers call it the proving ground, since the shopkeepers and patrons are both more vigilant and less forgiving. You’ll need to calm down with your targets. Go a little slower, pick easier marks,” he said as he settled against the wall beside her. “Also, Nyx won’t be able to help terribly much in there, so you won’t have the free distraction.”

He gave her a smile and made a movement with his hand towards her own. “We’ll want to get you some nice gloves made. Makes it cleaner slipping in and out. Hides dirt and grime well too, makes you less suspicious.” Artemis rolled his neck and popped his shoulders. “When you’re ready, we can head in.”
Word count: 375
Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Kerasoka

Post by Mila Glade »

Mila frowned as she handed him the ring. Though she could feel nothing from it, to him there was a tingle against his skin when he touched it, indicating there was some kind of magic inside of it.

The half-elf squirmed but laughed as Nyx landed on her head, she held up her arm so the raven could perch there instead. "Good girl."

She listened as Artemis told her of their next destination. The moved on to the bazaar, and Mila looked around her in wonder, both in awe and confusion. "So many people! You could take half of them all and make a whole new city." She remarked, as they moved through the throng. She kept herself ready for an opportunity, but Artemis had advised caution, so she managed to hold herself back from a 'few good to be true' targets.

"You lived here all your life?" She asked. "I don't think you'd like Ajteire. Not as a thief; coin don't mean nothing there. She spoke with a hint of sadness, but there was a glimmer in her eyes. "This place is much better for ..." She stopped, looking at a stall, leaning over to view some of the trinkets, while slipping her hand into the pocket of a well-dressed woman. She slipped a few coins into her pocket, before giving the stall owner a quick smile. Then she carried on with Artemis. "For this." She slipped him the coins as they moved.

They made their way over to the tailor's shop. Mila was looking forward to seeing Ksenia again, another half-elf. It didn't make her feel like such a freak knowing another one life her could make it in this city.
Word count: 282
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis chuckled as Mila praised Nyx. “She likes berries,” he said, tossing one to Mila. He quirked a brow at her comment about the crowds. Sure the bazaar was crowded, but it was strange to imagine a place with less people. He drifted just behind her, only moving to take the easiest of opportunities she had passed by. He’d only pulled a few coppers before she asked him more questions.

He smirked at her as she handed him the coin. “I don’t think I would mind not having to struggle to survive the winter, or get a meal,” he offered in reply. He whistled softly to Mila when he spotted someone he recognized. {Friend. Give.} Artemis palmed a small token into Mila’s hand as he nodded towards Ksenia looking at a book in front of a stall.

He wanted to see how easily Mila could complete the much more difficult, but equally important, task of planting things on people unnoticed. Besides, walking with Ksenia was always pleasant enough and she could speak to O’Dell for them perhaps.
Word count: 181
Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Mila Glade »

Mila nodded, taking the token.

She dipped away, moving into the crowd so she could come up behind Ksenia, pretending to look at the stalls. When she finally got round so that Ksenia's back was to her, she moved forward. Slipping in and out of the people like a cat, her eyes fixed on her target. However, that inattention to folk around her meant she collided with a woman just as she reached Ksenia.

It threw her off balance, and although she did manage to slip the token into the other half-elf's pocket, she also crashed right into a fruit stall, sending produce bumping onto the floor. "Kaxitaki" She cursed, then looked up to an angry shop keeper, and Ksenia. "Erm. Sorry?"
Word count: 122
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He grimaced as he saw the set of Mila’s eyes. Target fixation was terribly thing in someone who moves through crowds for a living. She did manage to sneak the token in successfully, though her ability to do it without notice disappeared as she slammed into a woman and then a pile of fruit. Artemis rushed forward with his hands up, “I told you to watch where you’re going,” Artemis said, picking up fruit and quickly returning it to the shopkeeper to draw ire away from Mila. “Clumsy girl she is. I try and try, but here we are,” he said to the shopkeeper as he placed the last piece of fruit onto the table and added 3 coppers to the pile.

“Oh hello Ksenia, fancy meeting you here,” he said, giving her a sheepish grin. “Let’s go somewhere we won’t be crashing into more fruit,” he added as he put a hand behind Ksenia’s back. ‘Can’t have the fruit monger noticing they’re both half-elves. Kessy doesn’t need that extra strife,’ he thought as he made his way into the crowd away from the fruit.
Word count: 192
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

“I wasn’t expecting to see you until much later,” Ksenia said, a smile on her face. “Lessons?” she tilted her head toward Mila. Artemis said nothing. “Anyway, I just found a book I haven’t seen in years!” She held the book out where he could see it. “Esyrax’s Tales - I started reading it one summer when I was in Verdant Row, but I haven’t seen a copy since then.” Ksenia hugged the book back to herself.

“Where are you headed next? Food, the Hart, or somewhere else?” She hefted her purchases under her arm. “I’m off today,” she said. “Deb’s orders, and Mr. O’Dell said he had other things to take care of today.” Ksenia bumped Artemis with her elbow, lightly. “Or do you need me to clear off?”
Word count: 137
Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Mila Glade »

Mila allowed Artemis to lead her away, stifling a laugh. Sure she had fallen, but at least she had pulled it off!

When they met with Ksenia, Mila gave her greeting, using the common tongue. Her own accent was Elvish, despite being less inclined t more flowery type words. She spoke it well, but needed to learn to alter it if she were to fit in properly in the city.

"I managed to get me some money," she declared, happily. "Black seems to think I need gloves and more pockets. I reckon he might be right."
Word count: 96
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

"You'll have to share it with me sometime," Artemis said offering Ksenia a friendly smile entirely unlike his usual grin. "As Mila has said, we're heading to acquire some goods. Though, if you're not working perhaps we should head to a closer shop instead."

Artemis turned to look down a larger side street. "I think we could manage a relaxed lunch, do some counting, and then head over to a place I've been meaning to visit," he said as he fiddled with his satchel.

"Do either of you know anything about leather?" he asked, glancing at each woman in turn before starting off down the street and out of the bazaar proper. "It's a funny thing. Can be tougher and more flexible than plate, but takes so much effort to maintain. Sometimes I wonder if I should just go about without a stitch simply for the freedom of it."

He led them a block and a half down before turning into a small gated alleyway. Inside was a public square with several food carts, an array of tables and chairs, and a throng of people enjoying the protection from the winter winds. "Let's grab a spot, figure out where everyone's eating. My treat today, to make up for the fruit," Artemis said with a wink.
Word count: 215
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia shook her head in response to Artemis’s question about leather. “I only work with fabric, I’m afraid. Although I think you’d want at least something as protection from the wind and sun.” She glanced over at Artemis. “You’d be awfully chilly otherwise.”

As they reached the square, Ksenia inhaled, sampling the different aromas. The scent of spiced, roasted meat reached her nose and her mouth watered. “Artemis, do you know what a -” she squinted, looking at the sign - “kebab is? It smells amazing!” Ksenia wandered over to the cart, looking over the menu board. Long skewers filled with meat lay above a grill, being tended and occasionally rotated by the cook.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had one before,” she commented thoughtfully. “I’d like to try one, if it’s not too expensive. Artemis? May I get one? Oh, and do you want one too?”
Word count: 155
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis stood very still, his eyes immediately snapped to the middle distance, his hands opening and closing slowly as his shoulders went limp. “Don’t-” he started before shivering and going pale. “-until you’re safe,” he whispered faintly.

Ksenia whirled around. Artemis rarely whispered. She saw his face, drawn, pale, clammy. Handing Mila a handful of coins, “Go, get three meals of whatever looks good, except the - those,” she said, gesturing to the kebab cart behind her. Slowly, she approached Artemis.

“Artemis, it’s Kessy. I’m going to take your hand and we’re going to sit down. You’re safe. I’ve got you.” She stepped deliberately toward him, doing exactly what she described. Holding his hand she led him over to an open bench. As he sat down, she slowly slid an arm around his back. “You’re safe. I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

He looked over at her, his movements jerky and uncoordinated. His mind was spiraling, shattering, and coming back together all at once. He could feel his memories, threads, wisps of thought, trying to worm their way into him. They weren’t his memories though, they belonged to someone else. The pain was his though, the terror, the anger, and the sorrow. “It’s all silver, we need to go home mother. It’s not safe here,” he said opening and closing his fingers in her hand. “They won’t stop singing, so loud, so close, these aren’t the voices I want.”

Ksenia saw the dazed look in his eyes, the tone in his voice that she’d never heard, and realized he’d been thrown back into a painful memory. “Fuck,” she whispered to herself. “Artemis. We can go. We’ll get some food and go.” He didn’t seem to hear her. “Artemis,” she said a bit louder. She gulped and pinched his arm, hoping to pull him back to the present.

He jumped up and tugged at her arm. “We have to go home, it’s not safe here,” he said insistently, trying to drag her off the bench. He wasn’t focusing on anything, his movements seemed slow and weak. He was constantly muttering something under his breath and tugging at her arm. His hands, slick with sweat, started to slip free and he stumbled.

Ksenia caught him. Hesitating slightly, she wrapped him in a tight hug. She didn’t see Mila anywhere. She’d have to hope the girl saw her and followed. “Where are you going? Where is home?” Ksenia couldn’t let him go; in his state, he’d stumble straight into the path of a horse or carriage.

Artemis groaned, as if struck in the chest. There was a faint light on his face, silver tracing that ran along his cheeks and connected his throat and eyes. He shrugged Ksenia off, moving through her rather than around with a surprising amount of strength. Then he started lumbering forward, swaying slightly as he made his way down the street before turning into a side alley.
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 2nd, 2019, 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Word count: 513