I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) - Reparations & Preparations [Closed}

Katarya seeks to solidify her bond with Artemis, while the newly appointed Lassë seeks a favour from the White Hart

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Re: I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) - Reparations & Preparations

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat looked over his sketches and listened intently, her brow furrowed as she followed. "What I worry is that, if you make a place that is essentially going to be a trade hub with store fronts ... Artemis that is going to be very public. Don't you think you should use an actual legal writ, instead?" She pointed out. "Guards and officials might pass it every day, and all it takes is for one 'up-himself' person with too big a'nose, to start asking questions."

She sipped her wine as she thought. "Though I have no actual building, I do still have the right to trade in the city. You could use the Frost name to legitimse the front, and then let all your more ... questionable, activities happen out of sight? Would the interest you? My Writ of Trading for a free space in the building." She winked. "Business is business, and of course I will come with you to House Lericyro; it's where I had my own writ changed from my grandmother's to my own. I could tell them I am setting up business in your building, and you can declare your ownership ... is that something like you had in mind?

She pushed away her plate. It would feel good to be making her own concoctions again. More than once had she been outright disgusted with the quality of the stuff she had got from certain alchemists, healers and apothocarists throughout the city. "Your business, your call." She said.
Word count: 248

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis nodded as Kat voiced her concerns. He’d had a lot of discussion with Cook about this particular issue. “That’s where the sweetness of the deal comes in. There are no actual writs for this place. They were lost in a fire, and all the people that can come claim them are dead in a gutter or died in that same fire years back. The taxes were paid up though, so the place sits empty,” he said grinning slightly.

“So I show up, with the false writ, make a statement of claiming, get it transferred over to me, and walk out with a completely legal new writ. The only worry of the whole deal is bribing a worker to accept the old write for the claim,” He flourished his hands as if performing a trick.

“Though I certainly won’t say no to a lovely lady with a Writ of Trading coming in along side me to make things a touch more official sounding. I’ll gladly trade your legal claim of space, and perhaps some extra kisses and winks, for no cost renting,” he said, taking one of said kisses as early collateral. “Having my first actual customer be someone in fine standing of the law can do nothing but benefit the entire plan. Though you’ll need to check with Kessy you’re not gunning for the same spot. You might be my Lómë, but she is my clothier,” he finished with a wink. He'd practiced saying that word more times than he was willing to admit. They'd told him it meant night, but in the pleasant appreciation sort of way.

The work of replacement went much smoother than he expected. They’d finished the first draft of the document before the first dinner patron wandered in. Artemis gave himself a slight shake and squeezed Kat around the waist. “I think that’s it for today. The next part is crucial so better to start fresh. I think I can manage it without your watchful eye though. I’ll be sitting around working away if you need me, but for now could I perhaps interest you in something more romantic?” he asked her and waggled his eyebrows in a seductive manner.
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 2nd, 2019, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 376
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat nodded as he spoke. "It sounds like you have everything sorted, then." She smiled. "And your Elvish pronunciation is coming along very well, I see."

"My writ is safe in the box, so all I needs do is get it and take it along, declaring that I will be trading from your premises. As you say, having a registered trader certainly won't hinder you." When he mentioned Ksenia, she pulled a face. "If you can, put us in spaces as far away from each other as possible. That way you can avoid us clawing out each other's eyes, whenever we cross paths."

She leaned in and gave him a quick kiss. "As wonderful as that sounds, I have rounds to do. They might not charge me to live here any more, but I still have to buy things to keep me fed and pretty." She rose and held out her hand. "To business, and to Artemis Black; proprietor"

When they had said their farewells with a promise to meet up that evening (she had invited him to stay in her rooms for the night), she went to grab her bag and marched off to the slums to do her duty. Such was the life of a witch who happened to take pity on the poor.
Word count: 216

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis found himself suddenly without an exact plan for his early evening. He didn’t want to get involved in anything particularly untoward, and so he decided perhaps he should just wander the bazaar. Being shuffled in among so many people always had a strangely calming effect on him. He could just disappear and be another of the endless faces. No expectations, no demands, simply another man wandering the bustling city. He nodded to himself, packed up his forgery tools into Katarya’s room, and checked his false coin purse was still loaded with pebbles.

The bazaar was alive with activity. People desperate to find the last little deal before running home for dinner blended with the early evening perusers looking for the less publicly available pieces. Artemis slid through the crowd, dodging fishermen's wives hunting for the latest bauble to tempt their north alleyway lovers and day drunk sailors looking for a trinket to tempt the lowside whores. He grinned broadly at the madness around him and relished in the sound and press of bodies each carrying on an entire mundane life. He enjoyed the feeling until he suddenly found himself outside of the rush.

In front of him was an older man, slowly collecting up piles of books. Artemis stepped forward and the man paused in his labor to smile. “Looking for anything in particular young man?” he said with the faint raspy voice of years past their prime. Artemis shrugged, looking over the covers for something he recognized. Nothing stood out, they were all indecipherable gibberish to him. Swirling script, thin slanting text, all the things he didn’t know. The man smiled and returned to collecting his wares. “Let me know if you see one you’d like,” he said with a knowing twinkle in his eye.

The old bookseller continued his work, lifting and storing his wares. Eventually he lifted a pile and a thin book fell out. It was bright green and bore a set of large distinctive block title that said LETTERS FUN above a drawing of an apple. The old man set the remainder of the pile away and frowned at the fallen book, likely preparing his back for the effort of reaching to the floor. Artemis moved in, scooping the book up without a word. He turned it over in his hands, examining it. Then he slid its pages open to see a large drawing of an owl beside a grand O. The rest of the page had many squiggles of various shapes. He guessed they said owl.

His eyes grew wide and he closed the book suddenly. “How much is this one?” he asked the man reaching for his purse in his excitement.

The man smiled and took the book from Artemis gently to examine. “Have a child looking to learn?” he asked as he looked through the books pages in a quick and practiced way. Artemis didn’t answer, keeping his face neutral as best he could. “Ah, here. Only four copper,” the man said as he pulled a small blue strip of leather out of the book.

The old man looked to Artemis, saw him getting the money, and took a small piece of marked parchment from his stall side. “Take this, if you want more I’m always here every third day,” the man said, sliding the parchment behind the cover of the book. Artemis took the book, almost threw the money at the man and murmured a rapid thanks before he dashed into the crowd back towards the White Hart.

Once he was safely back inside, to several looks of annoyance as he near burst through the door, he gave a quick bow and moved to settle in at a far table. The chair made a rather rudely loud sound as he slid into it far too quickly. He winced, holding up a hand in apology before carefully settling himself at the table. Then he set the book down and just stared at it. Inside he knew he could learn something he’d never known before. There was almost a sense of reverence when he finally reached out his fingers to gently open the thin book. The first page greeted him with grand text proclaiming LETTERS FUN followed by much smaller text he imagined named the creator. He dove in with all the aplomb he applied to studying maps.

Raya, having avoided him initially for his rudeness, actually prodded him when he didn’t respond. Artemis shook himself, looking up from the third line about ball with a confused expression. “I said, did you want anything to drink Lassë Black," she repeated with a tinge of irritation. He tilted his head, slightly uncertain before words came to his lips.

“A- uh- light ale please, nothing else for now. Thank you Raya,” he said to her with a sheepish grin. She shook her head at him and moved off to get an order of drinks.

When she returned she set his mug down with a thunk and peered over his shoulder. “What’re you reading?” she asked nosily.

He felt a sudden pang of fear at the words. First, he didn’t want to admit he wasn’t so much reading as figuring out. Second, he more so didn’t want to reveal the thing he was figuring out were just plain letters. He panicked for a moment, long enough for her to peek around his other shoulder.

“Letters fun, what’s that about? Some kind of story book?” she asked in a now interested tone. Artemis fell back to his tried and true methods of deflection.

“Oh, nothing that exciting, just something simple to pass the time,” he said giving her a not quite forced smiled. She raised an eyebrow and stared at him for a moment before shrugging and turning away without another word. He watched her go and then looked around the room slowly, making sure no one else was attempting to spy on his efforts. Satisfied after a moment he returned to the third line of ball.
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 2nd, 2019, 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Word count: 1014
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Katarya arrived back at the inn looking tired, dropping her heavy bag next to Artemis when she approached, leaning in to kiss his cheek. "Good afternoon, Tinwé" She said, realising she had started him when he jumped, and her eyes went to the book. LETTERS FUN it said, and what she glimpsed was a child's book, one to teach a person how to read. "Learning to read without a tutor is hard," she said, as she took a seat beside him. "Good for you for trying. If you ever want any help, you'd need only ask."

She motioned to Raya (who didn't even bother asking her what she wanted, but brought over a large glass of sweet wine), and then ran a finger down her brow, stifling a yawn. "Elves are so stubborn!" She exclaimed after taking a sip of the glorious wine. She did make sure to keep her voice low, and of course talked in the common tongue. She was starting to speak with a very light accent, though it was to be expected with her spending most of her day speaking in Elvish. "I swear it'll take me until I am an old lady before they listen to what I say without having to nearly force their medicines down their throats like dogs!"

She considered food, but took another drink, instead. "We should arrive nice and early at House Lericyro; early; they normally have a few people waiting and it's first come, first serve." She explained.

Her eyes drifted about the place It seemed quiet. ">Raya ...< she called to the girl. >"Where is Raen? This place seems way too quiet without him. It's almost eerie!"<

The girl shrugged.">He and Nuiné Dáire left this morning. Some kind of contract, I think.<"

Kat frowned. Raen on a contract with Dáire? Did Raen even do contracts? She even felt a little hurt that Dáire had picked the Elf over her; she and Dáire always did contracts together. "Can't wait to see how that comes along." She muttered, then explained what was said between the two women. "Odd isn't it?" Kat was jealous, plain and simple
Word count: 366

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis glared at the word tea intently as Katarya settled in beside him. He listened to her offer and waited for her to finish the usual complaints about work that everyone seemed to have. She mentioned arriving early to House Lericyro he grinned. “Still need a day to do the final copy, but yes that’ll be a good idea. Don’t want to be waiting too much outside though, have to pretend we have better things to do and all,” he added after a moment’s thought.

When she asked him about Dáire and Raen, after talking to Raya in elvish, he shrugged, not being terribly familiar with how the two operated. “They’re elves, can’t claim to know what they do, same as anyone else,” he said with a motion around the room.

He returned his fury to the word tea on the page. He pointed at it. “I know these, but why are they there,” he said, indicating the e and a in the word. “Doesn’t this one just handle all of them. Why are these ones ignored?” he asked, his annoyance plain in his voice. “Oh,'' he said suddenly, shuffling some papers with small scratches all over them. He pointed to the written word Cat in a swirling script and looked at her. “Is it this one?” he asked her clear interest in his voice.

He’d realized rather quickly that he did not have the first book he needed. All of the words used more than one letter. So he read through them all, figuring them out roughly by sound and the thing they belonged to. Some of them had the same sound though, so it hadn’t been a complete solution. After he’d figured them all out, he decided to try actually writing some of them. Then he realized he could write down things he knew by sound. He’d done Rteamus several times but felt like it was wrong somehow. Then he tried her name, but realized he couldn’t figure out past Catryeu so he decided to stick to Cat.
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 2nd, 2019, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 353
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

"Language composition makes little sense," she said. "But you'll get there. I promise you that you'll be sorely temped to throw that thing out of the window before the day is done! I felt much the same when I was learning my letters; we all do!"

As he studied, she took out a small writing book and got to work on her patient records; it was a far cry from the individual books she had had for each family she treated when she ran Lilian's, but it was better than nothing.

Working side by side in their own little ventures, they looked like quite the couple.

There peace didn't last long, as a man - a human man at that! - came bursting through the door of the tavern His wild eyes immediately found Katarya. "It's comin' Miss Frost! Now! My lass is in crying like she's been stabbed with a sword!"

Kat glanced at Artemis, then to the man. "Calm yourself Mr Falmer; where is Mrs. Falmer's midwife?"

He was obviously not calm. "She's out! Aggie weren't due for another week! She said she'd be fine."

Inwardly, Kat groaned, but outwardly, she remained the picture of serene competence ... even if inside her guts churned at the thought of having to help deliver a baby. It would be her first without her grandmother to take charge. She quickly kissed Artemis' cheek. "I'll be back before you know it; don't wait up if not." She grabbed her bag, and put her hand on the father-to-be's shaking shoulder. "Deep breaths, Mr. Palmer. Come along, now."

Even if she hadn't known where the Palmer's lived, she would have found them from the wailing, and from the 4/5 people standing around, mostly woman wringing their hands. All off them looked at Kat as she arrived, no doubt critical of her ago.

Katarya paid them no heed and, with Mr. Palmer in tow, she pushed into the house with a clear "Healer calling!" Following the sounds of a woman in a great deal of pain.

"You're doing so well, Mrs. Palmer." Kat said; she was knelt on the floor at the foot of the bed, with a full view on the workings. Her hands rested on the woman's legs as she looked at her. "Nice slow breaths now; have a little rest until the next one."

Mr. Palmer opened the door and looked in. "Is there ought I can do, Miss Frost? He asked, anxiously.

"You've done enough!" Mrs. Palmer shouted between breaths.

Kat turned to the man. "Why don't you keep boiling water, we'll take it from here." She said dismissing the man, before turning back to Mrs. Palmer. "Okay, Aggie, with the next one, I want you to give me a good, long push. Gentle now ..."

Agnus Palmer took a deep breath and then strained, her grunt falling into a wail as her head fell back on the pillow. "I can't! I'm too tired." She said, tears streaming down her face. "Weren't like this with the others; they just came right out. This little bugger is being difficult! Like its bloody father!" She shouted that last bit.

Kat rose and put her hands on the woman's stomach, palpating the area firmly. She frowned a little. "It looks like baby isn't in the right place; I'm gonna give him or her a little help. Just breathe for me."

"Whatcha think I'm doing?" Aggie snapped, tiredly.

Her tone didn't bother Kat; the woman was trying to push out a child, after all. Instead she pressed down hard, making Agnus Falmer curse. "There," Kat said, with some effort. "That's better. I think we'll get you into the edge of the bed; let's give baby a little assistance."

"Make your bloody mind up, girl!" Agnus snapped, but did as she was told.

Kat resumed her post. "Let's get baby out." She said, sounding much more confident than she felt.

Mrs. Falmer wailed again.

"That's it, Aggie! I have baby's head!" Kat declared, relieved (though probably not as much as Agnus Falmer). "One more big push for me ... that's it ... well done ... keep going!"

Agnus neaar screamed with her last pushed, bringing Mr. Falmer running into the room, despite Kat's constant orders for him to "stand back and let the mother do what she needs to do" and he stood there, pale, as his baby came into the world.

Kat let out a long breath as the babe slid into her hands. She gave a tired smile as the newborn began to wail. "You have a lovely daughter!" She said, wishing she could wipe the sweat from her brow. "The towels, Mr. Palmer; quickly now."

Agnus looked over as Kat tied the cord. "What's she like? Is she alright?"

With a snip, the cord was cut, and Kat wrapped the baby in a thick towel. She cradled it her arms, looking at the tiny thing that had let her lungs have a rest and gurgled quietly. "She's perfect." The Witch said, moving over and handing her over gently to the mother.

Agnus let out an exhausted, but delighted laugh as she took her baby in her hands, while her husband stood by her side, grinning like a simpleton. They were soon joined by two boys of about 8 and 10, all gathered round to coo and smile at the new baby.

Kat gave them a smile as she washed her hands in a basin, followed by her tools. "Your mother was very brave today, boys." The witch said to the two youngsters. "I expect you to be very good while you're sister gets bigger, understand?" and smiled as they both said "Yes, Miss Frost!" in unison.

Agnus looked up, while she stroked the baby's head with her little finger. "Thank you, Miss Frost. I was scared as all hell when I found out Mrs. Migs wasn't in town. Some midwife! Thank the Lords you were here!"

Kat finished packing her bag and returned the smile. "Baby was just a bit eager is all."

"Gonna call her 'Cassie'" The father said, his eyes had not left his baby or his wife. Kat had seen a lot more less-doting fathers in her time. Most of them would have been down the tavern while all this was happening. "After me old mam."

Agnus pulled a face. "Hope she don't need have the same temper!"

"Has Mrs. Migs filled you in on everything you need to do from here on in? Good. Well, you obviously know where I am if you need anything."

After many 'thank you's and bless you's, Kat finally managed to get away.

Closing the door quietly, Kat slipped into her room, to find Artemis asleep. A candle was on the bedside table and a book was in his hands. The witch smiled at the scene, and wondered what it would be like to have a baby of her own be put into her arms while Artemis' fretted and pestered the midwife.

But it was something fleeting; having children was not something she ever intended, and even falling in love had not changed that, thus far. The spell to keep her from getting with child was renewed each month, and she couldn't forsee a time when she might want to play the 'mother' to anyone but her patients.

She sipped out of her outer-clothes (Artemis might sleep naked, but she still had not gotten used to it, even putting clothing back on after sex!), and tried to get into bed without disturbing him, putting the book on the bedside table, and putting an arm gentle around her lover. "Goodnight, Tinwé" She whispered, then blew out the candle.

Katarya found herself standing on the streets of Fellsgard. She recognised the location almost immediately … it was near the orphanage. She’d been before when they had needed a healer and couldn’t afford House Enlann’s prices.

But now, the scene was thick was mist, giving her an eerie feeling, and then she heard muffled shouting.

Her boots hitting the road seemed to echo as she made her way to where the sounds were coming from. Above her, a raven called out in the night air.

As she turned a corner, she stopped in her tracks.

Before her, a man had his hands wrapped around a young boy’s face, squeezing the life out of the child. The man had a hideous smile on his face … and then suddenly, as if out of nowhere, a piece of wood hit the man over the head.

Kat’s eyes looked up to see this new dream apparition … “Artemis?” She said, her voice swallowed by the heavy mist. The boy looked young, perhaps nine or ten. But the look in his eyes ...

The boy managed, with a second strike, to pierce the throat of the old lech, a horrible, gurgling cry erupting into the night air. Then there was blood, so much blood. “You killed Charley; you old bastard!”

The boy stood above the now twitching old man, plank of wood in hand. For a moment, he just stood over the body, while the other boy had taken off at a dead run. And then, the now blood-spattered boy turned to look up at her, his eyes had the intensity that should not have been present in a boy his age. Then he spoke, his voice clear and calm. “You’re next.”

Kat gasped as she was ripped from the dream world and to the land of the woken. What had she seen?

Artemis was not in bed; he must have gotten up; Kat was never an early riser. The dream had left her feeling tired, as if she had barely slept.
Last edited by Katarya Frost on November 1st, 2019, 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Word count: 1615

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis half woke when Katarya returned but remained quiet and still. He’d been asleep for several hours, hoping to catch her as she returned. She was already sliding into bed and so he decided to simply snuggle closer to her and return to sleep. He’d see in her in the morning and her warmth against him was enough to lull him back to sleep.

When he woke again it was still dark outside. Unfortunately, he was beyond wide awake, and so he delicately shifted out from under her and moved to dress and slide out of the room. He’d change to his nicer clothes, well repaired, when it was time to leave. With practiced slowness and quiet he took his forgery kit and moved down to the common area. The stairs didn’t creak and the faint wind against the building hid any small shuffles of materials. He settled himself into a far corner table, set out a candle and got to work on his final duplications.

He was waiting on the ink to dry and scratching words into another scrap parchment when Raya walked past him blearily. She stopped and looked over at him “<<Why are you up? Writing something?>>” she asked him in a groggy Elvish.

Artemis looked up from his practice and quirked a brow. “I’m not sure what you said, but I’m just practicing something simple. Keeps you fresh, even with the easy things,” he said in an easy misdirection. She gave him a shrug and moved about her early duties.

When she came back out again, checking candles and lanterns, he thought to ask her a question, “Do you know how Katarya’s name is written? I’ve never actually seen it myself and want to make sure I have it right here.” He motioned at the drying tax writ.

She looked at him strangely before returning with a simple letter. “Here, this was to her, but isn’t anything important and she just left it lying there,” she said handing him the letter. He nodded and started to look it over, examining what were clearly not the letters from cat.

“If you’re doing that as something cute I doubt she’d appreciate it. Names are important and should be spelled correctly,” Raya said pointing at his scratch paper filled with Cat. She moved off to tend to her other duties as the color drained from Artemis’ face. He looked back at the letter, then his practice. They were clearly very different. ‘Why didn’t Kat say anything when I asked her?’ he wondered as he realized this was one of those strange letters that could sound the same.

He had several copies of a simple script of her actual name resting above many crossed out copies of Cat in various styles when she finally came downstairs. He didn’t notice her at first, instead he was carefully scanning the inks and wax seal of his forged document next to the original with a slight frown on his face.
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 2nd, 2019, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 514
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

"Oh aina' mori" {>oh holy hell<} Kat said, stepping in to the tavern proper, rubbing her head.

She made her way over to Artemis, giving him a kiss on the cheek before leaning over and inspecting his handiwork. "Dearest Tinwé! You're writing my name as your first word! Amongst all gestures of love, this has to be the very top."

She took a seat next to him, setting in front of him a roll of parchment with a wax stamp; her Writ of Trading. She didn't real any hesitation in handing it over to him. This was a good move for Artemis, and the always pragmatic Katarya, for her too.

"As promised." She said, pointing to the top. A legitimate business for you venture, my lord!" She smiled.

Her cloak was hunt on the chair beside her. "Whenever you are ready, I will attend you. I don't think i could stomach a breakfast this morning. My night was ... eventful. I should quit being a healer and do something less strenuous!"
Word count: 172

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

“It is in the Lómë which I shine,” he said to her distractedly as he placed his hand over hers. He finally nodded and set his forged writ down and looked over hers briefly. “Interesting where the changes are,” he said scanning the document quickly. “Can you show me how I would sign my name? It doesn’t have to be exact, I can work it out And if you’re looking for something other than healing I’ve got some positions open, though I can’t promise it will be any less strenuous,” he offered in a deadpan before giving her a smile and a slow kiss on the lips.

After she showed him the basics of his own name he crafted an elaborate signature, duplicated it several times in different sizes, and then nodded in satisfaction. “I think we can head over now. Not to be too much of a bother, but I actually do need you to help me dress. I can’t quite slide into the complete set myself. True to noble form it requires intimate assistance,” he said, trying desperately to keep the smug smirk off his face.
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 2nd, 2019, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 194