Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost [Open}

A young mage escapes a harsh childhood, a vicious tutor, and finds himself lost in the grand city of Fellsguard.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c
Race: Fae and Human
Class: Bard and Summoner

Re: Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost [Open}

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa grinned over at the young man beside Dáire when he rose to his feet suddenly. It was endearing but not something she wasn't already completely used to. "Please, don't feel you need to jump to your feet though I do always appreciate a thankful audience, Kit," she said with a faint wink.

"As for you, Dáire, I was there, when you released the right they wanted to force upon you, when the killer struck, and when you left on the ship. You saw me several times though I see you do not remember. And before you attempt to end my existence," she raised a delicate hand in peace and her voice became lilting Kerasokan. "{I want nothing from you but to talk. It need not even be today. And it need not be about what I should not have seen. You interest me, in a fashion that only dragons do. So I want to talk.}"

She offered him a small smile, but her body carried the readiness to run or strike as the situation required. "As for Kit, you seem the age to be one of my students but you've clearly never seen me before which means you're a visitor. What brings you to our lovely city of dangers and wonders?" She asked with an amused lilt to her voice.
Word count: 223
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit's blush nearly turned the boy crimson when she winked at him. He mumbled something, which might have been an apology, but sounded more like he had suddenly lost the use of his tongue.

Then she turned her attention to Dáire, who seemed to be regarding the Fae with idle curiosity, rather than the awe and almost fear Kit felt. But then the Elf grew still as she spoke. The man didn't move an inch, even when she slipped into a language he couldn't place. Elvish or Fae? It was eloquent, so it seemed likely to be one or the other.

And then she turned and addressed him. "Me?" He asked, as if there might be someone standing right behind him called Kit. He scratched at his temple nervously. What could he say? There were many reasons: to escape the abuse of his master? To find a place where he could learn to actually use magic? That he had stupidly come to a place that had the strictest laws against the very use of magic, and yet he had still bewitched a merchant into bringing him here, regardless?

Kit found himself just talking. "I don't know. I - ah - well I was with this man ... well not with him. I worked for him. Kind of." He took a quick breath and cleared his throat. "Travelling!" He suddenly blurted out, louder than he intended to. Then, mortified, he lowered his voice. "Just doing some travelling, like ... travellers do." He managed a weak smile, while inside he was quietly punching his own brain. "I'm not really an anybody, really. Mister Dáire is helping me find somewhere to stay while I am in your - this city. And - yes. So ..." 'Say something that doesn't make you sound like an idiot!' "You - I mean, your show was amazing. The best thing I ever saw."

'Shut up, shut up, shut up!' He cleared his throat. "Apologies. You and Mister Dáire seem ... well, I will - I think I might have a cold. I'm just going to ... have a drink. Sorry. Thank you, Miss ...ah ..." He didn't know her name. "Miss." He settled on, then tried very, very hard to sink into the wooden chair and vanish.
Word count: 379
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire’s whole body went stiff as a board, his breath hitching slightly as the memories from that life altering day pressed down on him, compressing his chest under their oppressive weight. The days after that had been a blur, she was no more familiar now that she laid it out before him that she had been before declaring that they had in fact, met before. By the time she switched the kerasokan, he was breathing a little easier, enough for his demeanor to turn from that of panic, to a restrained aggression. Like a cornered animal, Dáire was set to erupt violently and without reason, or do as he had before, and flee the intense emotions surrounding that day. He could hear Kit and Vanessa talking somewhere in the background, but idols help him if he could make out a single word.

“{You should not have mentioned- that- that day.}” He spat out viciously, rising to his feet in a jerky motion. On legs that didn't feel entirely stable, he paced a few steps away, rubbing his hand over his face as though he was trying to wipe the memories from the forefront of his mind. It would be painfully obvious to anyone around him, that the elf failed to deal with emotional baggage that obviously has been dealt to, even if they did not know the details of the situation.

After a few furious lengths of the small space between the tables, Dáire stopped, pulling himself back together with visible effort as Vanessa and Kit talked quietly between themselves. His hands flexed and fisted at his side as he stood for a few moments, the boys stuttering words drifting to his ears and grounding him to the present again.

He gave the fae a cold look, his mouth a thin line as he loomed above the seated pair, “If you mention that - that day again, the outcome will not be a pleasant one for you.” his voice low and menacing as he spoke, a dagger now in his hand and pointing squarely at the seated woman. “I- I need to calm down.” he exhaled heavily, the dagger dropping to his side once more as he looked around the room, deflating before their eyes as the adrenaline began to leave his body.

“I can’t imagine what else about me would interest you, but we may speak at another time.”

He looked down at Kit, who seemed intent on making himself appear as small as humanly possible. “I’m sure Kit would be interested to converse with you some more next time as well.” A weak smile creeping its way back into his face as he watched the man shift on his chair.
Word count: 458
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa smiled brilliantly at the young man, Kit, as he rambled and attempted to contain himself. When he finally settled back into his seat she felt a touch of amusement. Then Dáire was up and storming around, all thunderclouds and threats of blood. She watched him, only the faintest edge of tension in her body, the tingle of frost at her fingertips and in her mind.

“I understand, and I apologize for forcing such onto you in a time when you wish to have forgotten it. I will not mention it again,” she said softly, evenly, in a tone reserved for diplomatic discussions and official apologies.

“As for the illustrious Kit, I am Vanessa LaNore, but you can just call me Professor LaNore since you’re about the right age for my students and I have earned the title several times over. I’m guessing, since you’re here and looking for a place to stay that you’re perhaps seeking an education, or has something else caught your eye?” she asks with another brilliant smile, her features shifting like mercury.

“Regardless, I would love to assist you in any way I can. There are too many young and dream-filled people about getting themselves into trouble. You said you were going with Dáire to some sort of housing, might I join you both?”
Word count: 225
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

The big elfs shoulders slumped, wearnyness setting in as he sighed, any suggestion of no unthinkable as he considered the fae woman standing still sitting before him. He groaned, giving her another assessing once over before he spoke, “That should be acceptable. Artemis can ask you to leave if your presence causes a problem.” He looked down to Kit then, his voice still soft, “Was there anything you needed to see through in the city before we head towards East Hall?”

Dáire ’s attention drifted out the window to the darkening streets beyond, his eyes becoming unfocussed as he got lost within himself again. Today had been long and arduous, it wasn't half done yet, but he couldn't wait for it to be over.
Last edited by Dáire on March 10th, 2020, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 125
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit watched as Dáire rose to his feet, his face darkening. The young Mind Mage didn't need his limited empathic senses to know this had rattled the Elf. The dagger in his hand was testament to that!

He listened to the exchange, trying not to stare, sipping at his drink (which was barely a drop now), and averting his eyes. It didn't stop him listening though. The Fae seemed to handle the exchange with much more confidence that he certainly would have. The Elf towered over both of them!

Kit was relieved when Dáire sat down, his eyes flicking to the dagger as he let his hand drop. Would he have stabbed her? What could have transpired that would move someone to such a instant anger that a dagger was the first reaction?

And then she was talking to him. "It's very good to meet you - Professor." He didn't like that. Years of having to call an abusive, vindictive and sadistic man by a title had put a sour tint on addressing anyone in this way. It made them big, and it made him small. But she was making him an offer.

"I have had an education, Professor." He said, rubbing his fingers nervously. "And I don't think I want to be a puppeteer ..." He cleared his throat and flushed a little. "Even though it was amazing. I mean no disrespect. You are ama- the show was amazing. I just don't want to do that, thank you." He couldn't look into those eyes for more than a second or so, and he felt fidgety under her gaze.

His nervous bumbling was now tinged with something else; fear. This Fae had a commanding presence, and despite being taller than her, he felt shrunken by the force of her personality and persona. He glanced to Dáire, when the Elf agreed to her accompanying the two. Should he go? Should he run? No.

When asked if he needed anything, Kit shoot his head. "No, Mister Dáire." He asked, anxiously. "I'm good."
Last edited by Kit Heron on March 10th, 2020, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 343
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa watched Dáire intently, her smile becoming even broader as he acquiesced and looked to Kit. The boy seemed a touch annoyed at her title, but she kept her noticing from her features. “Ah, then we are going now. A moment,” she said before moving over quickly to collect her stage.

Vanessa set to work breaking down her stage, first slipping Sir Archibald into his spot and dumping the coins in after, setting the pot aside. Then, with a few quick pulls of toggles and wedges, the entire contraption collapsed and became a solid pack in well under two minutes, Vanessa having practiced this in much less forgiving circumstances time and again.

She hefted the pack up, cinched the final strap, and gave a nod to the waitstaff. “LaNore and the date is all you should need to report to House Nyshasa. Have a wonderful day,” she said with a faint musical undertone as she strode across the room to rejoin Kit and Dáire.

“Now, I am ready when you are, where is this East Hall? And also, Kit, you needn’t call me professor, Vanessa is fine, and I am not an instructor of puppetry. I teach history, botany, bestiary studies, and the effects of magical items in the world. As well as- other subjects if you attend my lectures abroad,” she said, her tone light and pleased as she listed her fields.
Word count: 236
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

Having watched Vanessa pack up her show with a practiced ease, a telling of how often she ran these sorts of gatherings. Dáire huffed out a disgruntled breath, stretching his tall frame lazily and made his way towards the door, motioning for the young mage to follow him. He wasn't convinced bringing the fae back to East Hall was a good idea, it wasn't his home to endanger afterall, not that he thought she meant harm, but you never knew where future problems may originate.

The air was decidedly chillier as he stepped out onto the street once more, the market stalls that had swamped the town square were few and far between now, merchants packing up any wares that hadn't sold in preparation for the trek back to their homes. Fine, powdery snow floated on the breeze as they walked the icy streets, their travel time slowed dramatically by the threat of crashing onto those unforgiving cobbles. Dáire grumbled under his breath, wrapping his thick cloak more tightly around himself. He usually made a habit of traveling south for the winter, well before the first frosts hit the ground in Tyvir.

He glanced back over his shoulder at Kit, ensuring the much shorter human was keeping up with his brisk walk and certain the fae could fly should she wish to keep up, he wasn't worried about losing her by accident. He slowed his pace a bit, allowing Kit to walk more with him, than trailing after him.
“ So what sort of magic do you possess?” Dáire spoke quietly, his breath puffing out the words meant only for the pair of them, he didn't want any nosey city folk to over hear them. “I’ve known a fair few mages and witches over my life, my own family were known for their abilities in illusions.” He chuckled, but it was an empty sound, “Having such magic would have proven useful at times.”

They walked on through the winding streets, the roads getting more narrow as he took the shortest, and most direct walking route back to the warehouse, leaving the wide, cart friendly stretches behind. “I’ll assume you don't know Ksenia or Artemis?” He called over his shoulder to Vanessa, but didn't wait for a reply, “Let me introduce you, don't speak and dont move in any way that could be considered a threat. Some of the people around here can be a bit twitchy.” his words delivered flatly and brokered no argument as they rounded the last corner and onto North Rigging Street.

The hearty scent of a broth wafted down the street towards, promising heat and a comfort only a hot meal could provide. He spotted Artemis almost immediately after he opened the door and stepped into the vast space, his whole countenance changing, softening, as his often cold face broke into a wide, boyish grin. Momentarily forgetting about the people following after him, he made his way towards his lover.
Word count: 498
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

"You teach all those things?" he asked Vanessa, with a look in his eye that hard the strong spark of interest. His education might have been given to him at the hands of a sadist, but he had found solace in the learning, in the knowledge, in finding out about the world around him from dusty pages and old parchments. They had been his sanctuary. And as strong a presence as she was, Kit did not think she would ever raise a hand to him, not as a student. He bit his lip. "I have no coin to give you for your teachings, Pro - I mean, Vanessa." It felt a little wrong to be calling her by her first name. Maybe 'Professor' was better. She would be his teacher, not his master. "Though I do intend on earning some, if I am able. May I ... May I think on it? If that's okay I mean? I don't want to seem ... I am just trying to find my feet is all." He gave her an awkward smile, blushed a little and averted his eyes. Hers was not a gaze he could hold for long.

When Dáire got up, he jumped to his feet. He gave Vanessa an awkward look, as if he were about to bow or something. Then he cleared his throat, smiled weakly, and fled out into the cold.

Kit pulled his jacket closer to him, and slung his bag over his shoulder, wincing slightly at the pull of his most recent injuries. They were almost healed, but they ached still, especially in the cold. Around him, people rushed too and fro, so different from the sedate ways of the village he would visit for his master's provisions. It seemed like everyone was in a hurry.

When Dáire fell in beside him, Kit glanced up as they walked. The Elf was a mysterious person, and no mistake. At first he had seemed broody, maybe a little sullen. But he had gotten Kit a drink and now was taking him somewhere where he might have a bed for a night. But he could also remember him stood, eyes dark, with a blade in his hand.

When Dáire asked his question, Kit glanced around a little nervously. He had heard tales of how Fellsguard treated folk with magic. "Well. I'm a ... I'm a Mind Mage." He said, in a lowered voice. "But I'm not very-proficient. Not yet." He added. "My education in magic has mostly be theoretical."

When Dáire spoke of his own family's abilities with illusions, he realised Dáire must be very old to remember such things. Kit knew, of course, about the binding of the Kersoka Elves' magic. It was much written about. he had even read books on how that binding might be lifted, and at the many failed attempts made over the centuries. "Sorry if this is rude-and wrong but ... I thought your people disliked magic users?" He glanced around at the passing people. "And I hear that people like me go - ah, missing, in Fellsguard. Will your friends be as understanding as you. I like to be honest, but I also don't want to be killed, or whatever happens to mages here."

Kit shook his head at the names: Ksenia and Artemis. The fact that Dáire asked in such a way gave him the feeling that these two people might be important, especially when coupled with the instructions gave him. They weren't particularly reassuring instructions, either.

Following Dáire, Kit, along with their Fae companion, entered a large, open area. Kit then saw yet another side to the Elf, as a grin split his face and he set off towards a young Human man. Short, but who seemed to carry himself with an easy confidence.

The young mage's glance flicked to Vanessa, trying to see if he could see any hint of recognition on her face. She had known Dáire; she might know of these others too. He also did as he was told. He stood still, kept his mouth closed, and tried not to stare at anyone.
Word count: 691
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa smiled at Kit, a kind and caring smile of a lifelong mentor and teacher finding someone who craved knowledge. "I do, and many more. As for pay, I am paid by the universities and academies but if you wanted some private lessons I'm always looking to help interested students."

She fell back a step then, letting Dáire have the space he so clearly desired and pulling her heavier winter gear just a bit tighter as they walked. Several minutes later she missed a step solidly as Dáire simply brought up magic. Vanessa's eyes snapped around, searching for others desperately. When she found none are breathed a small sigh of relief.

The tension started to leave her until Kit answered that he was a mage, and one of the mind at that. "Kit," she said very softly as she got just behind him. "Please make sure you speak to me about this further in private before I depart. There are several very important things you should know and I don't think you're looking to meet the Inquisition."

She said nothing further for now, listening to Dáire and shaking her head at the mention of two specific names. She was used to dealing with gangs and their false kings often enough. She would stay quiet to start and ensure the boy was protected, even if that meant Druvask needed to defend another cub.

What she saw when Dáire opened the door was nothing like what she expected. The place looked like a tavern and a community center had been shoved into a warehouse without regard for separation. Townsfolk were intermingled with what were clearly sailors and there were people all over chatting, playing games, and working at small tasks while food was being delivered and consumed.

She kept her features calmed and reserved, now entirely unsure what was happening.
Word count: 312