A Letter Sent

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

A Letter Sent

Post by Katarya Frost »

"You!"

The child looked up to the woman before him, his dirty face and torn clothing could only mean he was a resident of the slums. "What?"

Kat knelt down (trying her best to ignore her fine dress in the mud. "You're the Redshall child ... Timothy?"

The child took on a defensive stance, as if he was going to flee any second. "What do you want? How you know me?"

Kat tried her best not to roll her eyes or sigh in frustration; she might have delivered a few babies in her time, but she did not enjoy children. "I looked after you when you were sick, and helped your mother bring your baby sister into this ... world." She really tried to keep the disdain from her voice. "So, if we reach an agreement, I expect it to be fulfilled, and if it is not ... I know your father would be very unhappy. Do you understand?"

The child scowled. "What do you want? I don't do what the other boys do for money, I'm not gonna...

Katarya held up her hand, silencing the boy. "I would never ask you to do anything you are uncomfortable with ... she thought for a moment. "Also, if these children are being asked to do things they are ... uncomfortable, with. Then come and find me at the Elven Tavern. I'll sort something out to make sure that that sort of thing does not happen." She fished inside her bag and produced an envelope. "I wish you to take this to a tavern called the Goose, I ...

"I know the Goose. We all do. They give us food when it gets cold." He stated

Kat nodded her head. "And that's very good of them. I'm glad people are looking out for you."

The child immediately took ok a defensive posture. Lady!I don't need no one looking out for me. I can take care of myself."

Katarya nodded solemnly. "I am quite sure that you can. All I need is this letter delivered to the Good and given to a man named Artemis. Do you think you can do that for me?"

The boy made a play of considering it, before speaking up "Three silver." He said, with complete confidence.

Kat raised a brow. "One."

The child scowled. "I said 'three'"

Kat rose from her fleeing position. "And I said 'one'. But I have been working with children from your community for many years; I am quite sure I could find another -"

"Two. The child said. "I'll do it for two and it will get there. I promise."

Kat regarded him for a moment. "Two then."

The kid nodded. "Fine."

Kat smiled. "One when you deliver the letter, and one when I receive confirmation of it's deliverance."

The kid scowled, but under her cold stare, he relcuntantly took the letter in his dirty hands and nodded. "I'll do it now."

Katarya nodded. "My thanks. Come to the White Hart and ask for your money when I find out it has been received. They'll probably even put a bit of food on the table, if I ask nicely."

The kid gave her a strange look, suspicion and excitement in one, before turning away and going at a run.

Kat watched the child go and sighed. Could a letter really help? Was Helo right? She supposed she would have to wait.

The grubby child pushed his way into the Goose, and was immediately confronted by one of the staff. "Child; you kknow when we give out food for you lot and today is not that that day. You need to ..."

"I have a letter! He stated, boldly. "From a healer who wears all black. Strange woman. Told it to give to ... He thought for a moment. Arty-mas?"

The server took the letter. "I think I know who you mean. Go on now! Or are you hungry?"

Dearest Artemis.

I have no idea if you will tear up this letter as soon as you know it's from me, but I hope you don't.

Nothing I can say or do can make up for the pain I have caused you. There is no apology in any language that would be sufficient. Nevertheless, I do want to tell you how sorry I am. What I did to you was out of pure selfishness and, to be honest and to say something I would never normally say, it was through fear. I pushed away something wonderful because I am used to things being taken away, so I acted in a way that is unforgivable.

Burn this letter in a fire and curse my name to every god and idol if you wish. All I want you to know, that if there was any way I could have changed what I had done, I would do it in a second. Alas, I have not the spell or the skill to undo my mistakes, but I see what I have done. I am a despised creature, living in a shadow, and the brightest light I ever saw was you, smiling at me.

I do not expect this letter to change things. You are quite the character, and I expect men and women have flocked to your door. Perhaps you have even found love. Though it would sadden me, I hope it is, or will be so, for you. It would be richly deserved.

There is little left for me to say. If there are reparations I must make, then please let me know. I will do everything I can do made amends, even if they are not enough - I will try.

My warmest regards

Katarya Frost.
Last edited by Katarya Frost on January 18th, 2020, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 944

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Creator of Prompts and Inspiration
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ghost

Re: A Letter Sent

Post by The Unreliable Narrator »

“Deborah, a letter came in with a young boy, he said it was for ‘Arty-mas’,” the wench said just as Deb passed her by in the crew halls.

“I hope you gave him a reward, brave child to come in here with a letter for that man,” Deb said back with a wry chuckle. She moved to accept the letter the wench pulled from her voluminous skirt.

“I did. Gave him a nice treat for his effort and sent him on his way. I honestly didn’t even look at the envelope, just wanted to make sure the boy wasn’t getting into trouble.” Deb simply nodded and let a smile twitch at her lips. The wench, seeing nothing else was forthcoming walked away to return to her duties.

All of the staff were familiar with the oddities of Deborah. She managed the logistics and ordering, was the right hand of the crown and owner Cook, and had the occasional strange guests late into the night or just after sunset. She was also fiercely kind if you offered her the respect owed or cold furious fire when you trampled upon proper manners.

Deb spun the letter slowly in her hand as she got a feel for the envelope. It wasn’t the finest quality, but it was better than scratch material. The sender had put some thought into the message. It was even addressed ‘Artemis Black’ on the front in a fine script.

“This is not mine to open, but I can’t deliver it now. It’s dreadfully sunny outside and the sunset isn’t for hours. I best relax with a nice cup of warm tea and some light reading to pass the time,” Deb said to the empty hall. She moved off to the kitchens, fetched a mug, and then made her way to a small supply closet in the upper levels of the Goose. The place was often kept empty, and still smelled faintly of her dearest and lover Ksenia. The half-elf had spent a good deal of time in the small room working her craft and sleeping away from the cold of winter.

Deb settled in atop a pile of boxes and grinned as she sliced open the thick envelope and carefully slid the letter into the open. The script was fine and clean, no splotches or mess on the entire thing. Deb raised a brow in appreciation as she began to read the actual words.

“Dearest Artemis,” she mumbled, snorting in amusement at the form of address. “I have no idea if you’ll tear this-” she paused and snapped her eyes down to the signature, a deep scowl marring her inviting features. “She really doesn’t know how any of this works. Foolish girl, thinking she can simply wring her hands and be given a chance to right the past.”

Deb scanned the rest of the letter in silence before resealing it and rising from her perch. She moved to her office, a small room filled to bursting with intricately organized documents and ledgers. With quick precise movements borne of the years, she opened her writing desk and began a response. She used her regular inks and script for the message, not wanting to seem overly dramatic.

Banished,

You are not recognized. You are not known.
Your exile cannot be forgiven or revoked.
Your Suffering is of your own making, your Damnation your own design.
There are those who know the cost of betrayal, coin is no alibi.
We watch, we wait, and we are without end.

With a deft hand she sanded and cleaned the parchment and nodded in satisfaction. She collected a blank envelope, selecting her most gorgeous blood red ink and carefully wrote in her finest script. “Nothing like a touch of flair,” she said to herself as she looked over her work.

“To Return - Sender Unknown, Addressee no longer at this Address”

Finished, she placed her response into the envelope, sealed it with one of her personal wax seals, and then rose from her desk. She’d ask one of the staff to drop the letter off at the White Hart for her under the guise of delivering a promised shipment of Dwarven alcohol. A simple verbal instruction to ensure it was delivered to a ‘Miss Frost’ should suffice.

The Korcai nodded to herself, unable to keep the wicked grin from curling her lips. “It has been a terribly long time since I stepped out, perhaps my lover would be interested in doing something fun,” her words drifted down the empty hall as she moved back to the crew quarters on the floor below. She wanted to avoid interrupting anyone’s work needlessly, but also knew that any of the staff would jump to aid her without hesitation.

She selected one of the newer staff, a wench she found enjoying a relaxing mug of tea much as she had been. “Would you please go to the storage and collect a delivery for the White Hart? I’ll need you to take it as soon as you can and bring this letter with it. Please ensure the letter is handed off destined for a Miss Frost,” Deb said in her usual breathy voice. The wench nodded and rose immediately.

“Yes Miss Deborah, right away,” the woman said, taking the letter carefully after draining her cup.

“Oh please lovie, just Deb is plenty. And thank you so much for this, I’ll owe you a favor.” The wench’s eyes widened and she near sprinted out of the room. It wasn’t often the right hand of the Velvet Goose offered favors so freely.

Laura arrived outside the White Hart not an hour later. She’d not run all the way to the place, but she had certainly forced several folks out of her way simply by the nature of her expression and clear disregard. Despite her haste she’d been terribly careful not to jostle the many bottles of drink she’d been tasked with delivering. The letter, strangely addressed, was tucked neatly into her skirts where no roaming hands could reach it.

She slowed herself and took a quick breath to steel her nerves. She hadn’t the slightest idea how the Kerasokans handled things, but she was resolved to be polite and professional. With careful movement she opened the front door and walked into the White Hart. She glanced around quickly and then stood before the counter she spotted to her side.

“Delivery, from the Velvet Goose as promised. Also a letter for a Miss Frost,” Laura offered, unsure of who was supposed to receive the deliveries and belatedly realizing she perhaps should have come to some sort of back door.
Word count: 1124
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Elára motioned for Raen to take the box ... and he characteristically made a face at being asked to do anything pluck a string, but was also too intimidated by the Elven woman to argue.

The Elven bard gave the woman an easy smile as he took the box. "If I had known there were such beauties like you at the -"

"Enough, Raen! Take the box." With an incline of her head, as Raen scurried away, leaving behind a quick wink as he did, the Quimellë of the Kelbé gave a short brief smile. "You have my thanks. And please, have a drink on the house, if you are so inclined and permitted. We much appreciate the Goose's speedy delivery."

Taking the letter she frowned. This was from the Goose to Katarya; a relationship that had had caused the establishment - and her personally - a great deal of trouble. "Raya." She called out, without looking up.

The young Elf appeared immediately, standing so straight she might be a soldier in front of a general. "You need me?" She asked, somewhat timidly.

"Why else would I call?" Elára replied, with the confidence of one who was used to absolute obedience. She handed the letter to the young Elf. "A letter has come for Olbá Katarya. Please see it to her .... now, my dear."

As the girl nodded and almost ran to do the woman's bidding, Elára frowned. She had reluctantly supported the witch, standing by her decision to let the Human woman become a part of the Kelbé.

What would this bring?

"What did he say?"

Kat turned to Helo, who lounged on his bed eating fruit as if there was no cares in the world. He didn't say anything. But someone else certainly did.

The Changeling sat up. "How can you be so sure it wasn't him?"

Kat took a seat and sighed. "Well, unless he has miraculously learned to write, and to do so with such an elegant hand. Then I very much doubt this is him." She sat back in her chair, the letter resting in her lap. "So much for trying to 'make amends'!" She said, pointedly.

Helo raised a brow. "I never said it would be a magical cure!" He protested, moving to the edge of the bed."I just said it might help to try and make some ... gesture, is all." He took another slice of apple and munched happily.

Katarya read the note again. "'We watch, we wait, and we are without end.'" She read out, made placed the letter to the side. Her gaze became distant as she thought.

Helo put the apple down and looked at her. "Whatever you're thinking -"

Kat glanced up. "How can I think when you're talking?" She turned in her chair and rested her elbows on the table. After a few breaths, she turned back. "'Without end?' doesn't that sound at all threatening to you?"

Helo scratched his head. "Well ... I suppose it depends on your interpretation. It is a little vague. It really could mean anything if you fixate on it long enough?"

The young witch nodded. Holding up her right hand, she stared at it for a moment, and the sparkle of frost began to spread over it. "I don't respond well to threats." She said quietly.

Helo put his plate aside. "Kat ... he took a breath. "I haven't been here very long, but I am kind of getting a sense that you might be the most unpopular person I have ever met. Don't get mad!"

Glaring, Kat cleared her throat. "I wasn't." She lied, unconvincingly.

Helo ran a hand through his hair. "By the stars ... it is tough to be your friend!" He gave a short laugh, but stopped when she did not even smile. "Think of what you do; you get up every day, go into a part of the city that most of the rest of these people would never go and you ... I don't know ... you deliver babies and treat sick folks. Can't you just be happy with what you contribute, already? Is that not enough for you?"

Kat looked down at her hands as she pondered his words. After a while, she shook her head. "No."

Helo scratched the back of his in frustration. "But why not?" He said, his voice growing louder. "You messed up; you lost Artemis ... you betrayed him! What would you do if the same thing was done to you, Kat? Why can't you just accept this is a battle you will never win and let -"

Because I love him!" She shouted, throwing the letter to the side and putting a hand to her head.

The temperature in the room fell sharply, and Helo held out his hands. "Kat..."

She looked up, her eyes wide, perhaps even vulnerable. "When everything was taken from me, those people - the people who now insinuate ... something something that might result in me dead in a gutter ... despise me ... and with good reason." She rose to her feet, not noticing the frost gather on the window. "There has to be something I can do ... something. I just need to know more." She paced for a moment, Helo watching her carefully. "I never paid enough attention when I was there ... that was stupid of me. I should have made connections, alliances; maybe even friends."

"I think 'friends' might be a bit of a stretch, from what you have told me." Helo said, shivering slightly. He stopped talking after a quick glance from the witch.

After a moment she stopped. "Knowledge." She said, to herself. "'Knowledge is power' is not just something stuffy old men in robes tell each other without good reason."

Helo took a seat, slowly. "Whatever you are planning, Kat ... is it worth it?"

The witch grabbed the letter and threw it into the young man's lap. "How can I live the rest of my life with an arrow target on my back? Do you even have any idea of what kinds of people work there? Of what they are capable of?" She shook her head. "I will not be bullied! She took a long, slow breath. "I am constantly under attack, or being talked about, or criticised, or in danger of losing what little I have managed to gain in this city ... She shook her head. "It has to end, one way or another."

Helo grew very still. "You sound like you're about to declare war." He said, quietly.

For a while, she said nothing. Then she turned to her desk, opened a draw and drew out some parchment. "Nyx!" She called, not looking up as she began writing. After a moment, the raven appeared at the window, cawing her arrival. Katarya finished the note folded the note and handed it to the raven, who took it by the beak. "For that bastard, Lord Gideous." She instructed. The raven bobbed it's head and flew off.

"Who is that?" Helo asked, hesitantly. At least it had stopped getting colder.

A member of one of the ruling houses. I have instructed him that my life has been threatened and that I would appreciate his support." She said, putting away her writing materials and reaching for a cup. "In a war; one must have allies." She said, pouring two cups.

Helo shifted in his seat, frowning. "So it is a war?"

Kat looked up. "They made it a war!" She near shouted. "I have, since all of this started, been able to do nothing right by those people. I have been pulled apart thread by thread, with no one - not even the man I loved - to have my back. What I made were stupid, stupid mistakes ... but them ... they are organised, and dangerous. I must do what must do." She turned to look at him.

The air grew cold.

Helo's hands clenched. "Kat ..."

As her eyes were fixed upon him, the blue become so light that now they were almost white. She rose. As your master ...

Helo scrabbled to his feet. "Kat! Don't!"

The witch did not even blink as she spoke. "... I command you, by whatever means necessary, to present yourself to Artemis Black. You will tell him that I wish to meet him, and you will, if necessary ... she took a small breath. "Give your life to fulfil this bargain. Do you understand, Helo Tarran?"

Helo tried, with all he had to resist. But not only had she cast the spell; he had agreed to it. There was no anger in his eyes, only regret and pity for this young woman before him. He nodded his head, turned and shifted. In place of the Changeling, a cat sat on the bed. His green eyes regarded her for a moment, then the cat turned, jumped up on the ledge of the open window, and vanished.

Kat gasped and grabbed the chair as the command had been completed. She stood for a long time, her eyes glancing to the mirror and to her icy blue eyes. 'What does this make me now?' She thought. And the answer was quick to follow.

A monster.
Word count: 1532

Helo Tarran
Character
Thief
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Shapeshifter
Class: Rogue

Post by Helo Tarran »

Helo jumped from the window and onto the next roof. For a moment he stopped.

Where was he to go? He had been commanded to find a person about who he knew next to nothing (other than his prowess in bed and Kat's strange love/hatred for the man). His green eyes scanned the night.

A croak came from beside him, and Helo's cat eyes turned as Nyx fluttered down beside him. Katarya's familiar cocked her head and croaked again, fluttering to a nearby rooftop, and letting out the same sound.

Luckily, Helo wasn't too slow, and soon realised he was being led by this bird (hopefully to his destination. One never knew where the witch was concerned).

Helo had always enjoyed spending time in his cat form. His movement were fluid, graceful ... but these movements were forced, compelled. He had to do this. It wouldnt be the first or last time he had ever agreed to let Katarya leave the enchantment on him.

Soon they arrived at a warehouse, and judging by the fact that Nyx had made some kind of noise and then flown away, Helo assumed he must have reached the right place. Something in his body was telling him that he was in the right place ... Artemis Black was here.

The place was teeming with life as he padded his way through various folk, some of which ignored him, some of whom gave him a curious look, and one even tried to kick him! But he managed to get into the main area. After a quick look around (and another dodge from the same grumpy dwarf who had tried before), Helo slipped into an alley and shifted back.

Beads of sweat glistened on his forehead as he felt the compulsion of the command put on him. He felt like he should curse her under every deity and idol there was ... but he had said 'yes' to the spell. He had chosen this.

Straightening his clothes, he tried to adopt a casual gait as he passed the same folk, nodding and smiling, receiving very mixed reactions before he found someone who wasn't doing anything physical, and looked like they might be somebody senior.

"Good day, sir." The Changeling said ... for once cursing his Ajteire accent. "I am looking to speak to a Mister Artemis Black. It's very important." He said, smiling. "And I mean real important ... the kind of if I don't do this then I'll actually die kind of important." He nodded and cleared his throat. "Any help would be wildly ... and I mean wildly appreciated. Thank you."

Helo gave his best smile (it usually only worked on women who liked men and men who liked him: he crossed his fingers behind his back) and waited for a response.
Word count: 463
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Jacobus was not entirely sure what had happened to his life this past week. He’d gone from being without work, on his last coppers wandering the docks to being the foreman of an active and aggressive renovation project. With that he got a warm bunk and hot food every day and to top it off he was currently getting paid to stand around and make sure no one did anything too stupid while his crew worked on passion projects and a gaggle of random sailors drank, gambled, and chatted amicably with the surrounding neighborhood folks.

What had been a mostly empty warehouse was now filled with third-hand benches and tables were a bunch of folks Hannah swore were ‘good people’ idled time away. Jacobus had to admit, it’d cut down on skulking folk and if he’d been a thug he’d have steered clear of the new crowd. So here he was, idling his time and trying to keep track of children, sailors, and craftworkers without making himself too busy.

The man that wandered into his view looked just around the Boss’ age and that made the foreman nervous. He noticed several eyes were already tracking the fellow before he’d made it inside, but that wouldn’t stop a knife.

Jacobus listened to the fellow talk and his nerves ratcheted up another few notches. He sounded real on edge. “I think I can, don’t uh- don’t move,” he offered to the man and stepped back a bit before cupping his hands and calling out in no particular direction. “Ey Boss, some kid says he’s dying to meet you?” As his shout drew attention he nodded and stayed just away from the other man. He'd learned from the Boss that it wasn't a smart idea to identify important people who were currently unknown by potential attackers.
Word count: 312
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire hadn't been the only one tracking the stranger as he made his way across the halls floor, a slight stiffness to the mans otherwise casual manner giving Dáire cause to be suspicious. He set down the arrows he’d been replacing damaged fletching on, and stood from his perch on the far side of the hall. The human wasn't overly large but young, his figure lean and unthreatening, strength however was not needed if you were fast with a blade.

At the mention of Artemis’, Dáire found his body in motion before his mind had caught up fullywith what was happening. Within a handful of his long strides he stood before the human, looming above the man in a way that couldn’t ever be mistaken for friendly. He was pleased the foreman hadn't pointed Artemis out, the older man had obviously learnt sense.

“What do you want with Mr Black,” Dáire said coldly, his body now soldily blocking the man’s view of the warehouse. The smile on the man’s face did nothing to sway the stoney resolve that’d settled on Dáire’s own. “No stranger gets near him without my saying so.” Dáire could feel the eyes of all the workers on the pair of them, Artemis hovering safely on the periphery of his vision while he considered the human before him.
Word count: 233
Jourin Argall
Character
the Ill-Fated
Level
25 / 25 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Class: Fighter

Post by Jourin Argall »

Jourin's morning was rather dull compared to the events that took place the day prior. For the first time in several weeks she didn't particularly notice the lack of anything to do. Now that she had found her destiny she no longer felt a driving impetus to do something like a tempestuous wind on the ocean. Free of that pressure, she breathed, ate and slept with a peace she had never known before.

Despite this newfound sense of comfort and belonging, she remained vigilant. After a decent evening's rest, she was in the yard at first light, exercising and doing a general inspection of the area. In the intervening hours, she lent her assistance when and where she was able although it was plain that she was no carpenter. She was good for ferrying heavy objects, swinging a hammer, and not much else.

She was seated with a number of the crew across the yard and observing their game of dice when the stranger approached. Jacobus called out, alerting everyone to the presence of their guest. Jourin glanced up as the easygoing conversations died all around her. From the corner of her eye, Daire stirred, rising to his full height. She acknowledged this a moment before he was on the move.

In another moment, she got to her feet and reached for the bastard sword that was never too far away. Grasping it by the sheath under the hilt, she strode across the yard until she stood at Daire's elbow. Her eyes fixated on Helo, watchful and assessing, the mask of stony indifference on her own face betraying nothing.
Word count: 269
Helo Tarran
Character
Thief
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Shapeshifter

Post by Helo Tarran »

Helo felt a bead of sweat drip down the back of his neck, and as much as he wanted to talk right out of this building, he couldn't. His legs were not obeying him.

So he spoke.

"I have a message for ... Mister Black. It is from Miss Katarya." He took a breath and glanced at the two of them. "If I don't deliver this message, there is very high chance that I might die. So I implore you, with what little control I have all over this very .... fucked up situation, that I see him. I carry no weapons, I know no magic. I am a just a Changeling, here to perform a task." He dropped his gaze. "Please." He said quietly. "Please."
Word count: 124
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis had to keep himself from going into a laughing fit as he discretely watched his two ‘guards’ approach the newcomer. First, it would likely break his hiding among the sailors, and second, he still didn’t seem to be on the mend and coughing fits were becoming a more common annoyance. He would remain hidden, nestled in the middle of the tables, surrounded by the many sailors and blocked from sight by their bulk.

He managed to get a glimpse of Helo through the shifting bodies and frowned intensely. ‘What sort of trouble did this man bring to his door?’ he wondered silently. As the changeling shifted uncomfortably again he decided enough time had passed and leaned his head down. He’d project his voice, a talent he’d begged to learn from Chef when he caught her in one of her better moods.

“Walking into another’s home and making demands is dangerous work, means you’re either strong, stupid, or in way over your head,” Artemis said, the dark mirth plain even in his distant voice. “I can’t promise I know the name beyond vaguely familiar, but if they’re willing to threaten a life just to send a message – well, that tells me enough.”

Artemis curled and uncurled his fingers as his body prepared to spring into violent action on long instilled reflex. Around him many of the sailor’s acted confused, looking both at the newcomer and around for the ‘disembodied’ voice. Several of the more experienced hands returned to their games of dice or cards simply talking in lower tones.

“So, speak your message then, and keep your hands out. Those two will do their jobs without much remorse and I’m not one for much patience these days.” Artemis wasn’t entirely certain what he said was true, but he guessed it was close enough to not matter anyway. He could certainly knew the capacity for violence in Dáire, even if many of his thoughts for the man were far more indulgent and intimate. Jourin had shown her mettle at the first, but reacting to an attack and taking down a potential assassin were entirely different sets of skills.
Word count: 368
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Helo looked at the man who Katarya had spoken so often of - he had imagined him to be taller - but he nodded his head.

As his gaze left the floor and locked his eyes with Artemis, the young Changeling's eyes were no longer their dark brown, but cold blue. "Hello Artemis."

In her room, Katarya stood, staring off into the distance. Her bare skin covered in frost, and each surface shimmered in the afternoon light. She had performed the spell well, it had seemed.

The nervous demeanour of Helo was replaced by something else; his back straightened, his chin lifted a little. "It has been much too long. Please forgive me for using this boy to speak to you, but I could find no other way." Helo - who obviously no longer himself - sighed. "I am so sorry. Truly. I have made some terrible mistakes ... Kat-as-Helo took a breath, then looked up. "But tell me; can you be sure that every time you put a dagger in a man or woman, you were doing the right thing? Did you do what you had to do to survive and thrive? Taking a life is the ultimate thing you can do to a person, and I have never done it ... never."

The blood at Helo's nose dripped down to his chin, and his complexion began to grow pale.

"I expect no grand 'coming together'; you are a charmer, and I suspect you may have very well moved on. But I am frightened, and if there was anything between us; anything at all; then I request your aid."

Kat-as-Helo glanced around, dark circles forming under his eyes. "Dáire ... I have nothing but love for you. I know you have made great sacrifices; Raen can never keep a secret ... I would have been there for you, in a single moment's notice. Please know that." The Changeling's greying face turned back to Artemis, blood dripping from his other nostril, and one of his eyes beginning to redden. "Whatever it takes, Tinwé." The Changeling said, as his breath seem to become more laboured. "Anything."

In her room, the witch put her hand on her desk to settle her dizziness, entirely unaware what she was doing to the young man from Ajteire.
Word count: 379