A Holiday Visit [Completed]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Creator of Prompts and Inspiration
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ghost
Class: Wizard

A Holiday Visit [Completed]

Post by The Unreliable Narrator »

Cook watched the elf woman go, letting her walk out of sight before he grimaced. "Deborah, are we in agreement?" he asked roughly, not looking to his right-hand and logistics manager.

"I believe we are, Crown. That was very strange and I do not believe a single question was answered," the Korcai said back in her deceptively soft and littling voice. "Perhaps the Cáno will have more answers?"

"The gall, to come here, dodge questions, and act as an equal. I wonder if the long lives twist some Elves' understanding of manners, or if this is merely a case of being blinded by something unseen." Cook trapped his fingers on the table for a moment as he collected his thoughts. "Send the Rabbit to fetch a Bear and alert the Hawks. Have them meet me at the Hart, I’ll ride. May as well put the Menagerie to use, given they'll be about with the excitement of the banishment."

The ride into and across the East District was an interesting one for Cook. He’d not stepped out of the Velvet Goose in daylight for many years. He noticed the poorer area seemed to be expanding again, spreading out past its imagined boundaries as the lowest class reclaimed storefronts or housing from the South District. The place always ebbed and flowed like this, debtors and failed merchants selling of places at a pittance, crime, damage, decay, all these things allowed enterprising slum residences a chance to spread out. They would move, and the squalor would follow. Soon enough a street was reclaimed by the slums.

The massive man reached the end of his ride atop a heaving horse just beginning to lather. He slid down from the mount after hitching it to a nearby shop and immediately looked around to get his bearings. A shadow appeared on a rooftop across the way and he nodded imperceptibly.

‘The Hawks are in place, with more to follow,’ he thought as he found his peace and stroked the overworked horse. There was a clatter of hooves and a vulgar shout on the side street, heralding the arrival of the Bear.

“Ho, Arcturus,” the rider declared, drawing to a halt and hopping from his mount. “I haven’t had this much fun in ages.” The speaker was a Bear, the defenders and guardians of the Menagerie.

“Ho, Urs,” Cook said back to the man, taking in his heavily armored form. Urs was a broad and heavily built man, the rival of Cook’s own size and imposing presence. He wore a solid construction of banded plate and carried a menacing looking hammer at his hip. The two men were well acquainted from their days before Cook’s elevation.

‘Almost was a Bear myself,’ Cook thought wryly. He cleared his expression and clasped hands with the armored protector. “I believe we’ve beaten the cause of this visit, but be ready. There is a banished one who resides here and magic may be in evidence,” he said softly enough that the information would be drowned out by the heaving of their horses.

Urs nodded and tapped his gauntleted fist to his armored chest before taking his helmet from the strap on his mount and slipping it over his head. “I am yours to command, Crown Goose,” the Bear said in a muffled but official tone.

Cook moved with the same reserved confidence he always projected. It did not matter that he had a Bear beside him, or that he was entering a den that may contain vipers. He had earned the Crown, and all others would do well to know his dedication and strength.

The inside of the White Hart was a respectable enough place to Cook’s practiced eye. There was room for private talk, though likely not truly safe he mused after a brief consideration, and even a stage for performances. Without hesitation he moved to the prominently positioned bar and spoke evenly to the tender.

“I am Cook, and I have urgent business with the Cáno,” he said in his most commanding gravelly tone.
Last edited by The Unreliable Narrator on December 1st, 2019, 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Word count: 684
Aurae
Character
The White Harts Queen Bee
Level
25 / 25 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Paladin and Alchemist

Re: A Holiday Visit

Post by Aurae »

Cithrel’s head shot up at the sound of the deep masculine voice, coming face to face with a hulking brute of a man. She forced her body to stay put, she wasn't a small elf but this man was almost her height and undoubtedly twice as wide in the shoulders. The infamous Cook of the Goose. A quick glance around the common room told her that the staff, were no longer anywhere to be seen. The few patrons that had already settled in booths around the edges, were watching the interaction with rapt curiosity.

“Of course, sir.”She nodded in deference to the imposing man and slipped away from the bar, retreating into the back rooms where the Cáno could be found.

Aurae was pouring over the ever amounting paper-work that she could have sworn multiplied each time she looked away, when the rattled young elf popped her head through the ajar door-way.

“The Owner of the Goose is here Cáno, he wishes to speak to you -” Nervous energy seeped from the young lumiancia as she chewed on her bottom lip, “He says it is of urgent importance m’lady”

Straightening her back and settling back in the plush chair, Auras face fell into a look of confusion, worry niggled her as well but that was something she would not allow to show. “Thank you, Cithrel.”

The young girl scurried off, darting back to the main room and it’s unusual visitors, nodding confirmation to the party of humans that had just infiltrated the heart of the elven community in the slums, before making herself busy at the far side of the room.

Aurae stopped beneath the ornately carved archway that led to the back rooms, evaluating the three hulking presences now occupying no small floor space in her dominion. The centuries old elf was a picture of elegance and sophistication, the other side of the blade to her Quimellë, who exudes authority and a steely will that can be rivaled by few.

“Amin Herú Cook, this is a most unexpected visit. Please, come back here where we can speak within walls that have less ears.” She gestured gracefully for the men to follow her, before leading the way down the narrow hall which ended in her personal study. The room was of modest size, feeling all the smaller for her guests. Old paintings of the world before Belhest cluttered the walls, many of her home city of Órlbelle, but only elves of the time would recognise it as such, to outsiders it was merely a fanciful rendition of an elaborately carved city. What space wasn't occupied by paintings was cluttered with books, all shapes, sizes and ages, including the Cano’s desk. She strolled around it, remaining on her feet as she invited the men to seat themselves on the other chairs that had been left somewhat hap-hazardly on the far side.

Seating herself, she met Cook’s gaze head on and unflinching. “Cithrel said this was a matter of urgency, so, how may I be of use to you today Herú?”
Word count: 517
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Cook had not let the sudden absence of discussion slip past his notice. He was a large and dangerous looking man accompanied by another cut from the same cloth. This sort of thing was the usual, and reminded him why he often stayed within the walls of the Velvet Goose. He stood beside the bar while the tender spoke to the owner, and gave the elven woman a subtle inspection when she stepped into the open.

“Of course Cáno,” he said easily in his scratchy rumble. He moved smoothly, leaning on all his years of time on the rowdy Goose floor to glide over and follow the woman into her cozy study. Urs kept like his shadow, though the soft clank and creak of his armor belied his professional and quiet motion.

Cook seated himself, keeping the motion professional and considerate. After all, this woman was his actual equal, and he was in her home. “It is unfortunate, but I believe so. My concerns regard one Artemis Black, a Banished One, and your own Quimellë Elára,” Cook said, sighing as though the news were most terrible. “I have spoken to the Quimellë just earlier. I asked several questions regarding the troubles that have transpired and received hardly an answer from the woman.”

Cook leaned forward slightly, not projecting anything in particular and simply using his size and presence. “I am worried that Artemis was unduly removed from the Hart’s protections and that the Banished has not faced the appropriate investigation given a declaration of hatvada." His emphasis on the final word, said smoothly in Kerasokan, was stretched though there was no other indication of his thoughts.

Urs twisted slightly towards Cook, the motion made loudly obvious by the creak of his leathers. The Crown imagined the Bear wore a look of aghast on his face. Oathbreaker was a very serious claim, far more than the banishment. Cook simply nodded a fraction and the Bear turned back to being entirely unrelaxed.

“To put it most simply, the boy has an earring, one I believe you might appreciate yourself,” Cook said, motioning faintly at the woman’s many clearly Elven adornments. “It contained magic from his late mother, of what kind I do not know. It seems the Banished damaged it irreparably. This matches with my own brief interactions with her. No regard for safety or consideration.”

Cook shook his head slightly as he pushed away faint memories. “The Menagerie has no quarrel with the Hart, but I cannot stand idly by and allow my questions to go unanswered,” Cook said with a tinge of sadness to his voice. “Has Artemis been informed of his sudden expulsion? Has an investigation been done into the claims of attack? Does the Hart truly believe that one magic is the same as another, that an heirloom can simply be fixed after it is destroyed?”
Word count: 482
Aurae
Character
Level
25 / 25 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Aurae »

Aurae sat forward, steepling her fingers as Cook began to speak, a fine line soon forming between her brows as she began to frown in confusion.

“I am very sorry Herú, this is the first I have heard of the situation regarding Lassë Black. I was notified of the visit but not of the circumstances surrounding it.” Aurae maintained her composure and positioning, despite the encroaching bulk of the large human across the desk from her. The more the man spoke, the more perplexed she became, if all that this man was saying was true- and she suspected it had to be. It was something that should have been brought to her attention immediately, not the following day and certainly not after an apparent failed meeting of two of the more important figures within the city.

Hatvada. The slimey word slithered through Aurae’s head, the title an unremovable stain upon oneself once uttered. She blinked. Blinked again, as though that would clear the pure shock from her mind. Cook forged on, relaying yet further condemning details against the young witch, whom they’d only recently accepted into their family. Subconsciously, Aurae twisted the centuries old bracelet on her wrist, the piece having belonged to her mother, and only recently been returned to her with the aid of the two young humans now in question.

Still somewhat stunned, her mouth floundered in a most unprofessional manner before she managed to formulate words again. “I owe you and Artemis apologies I fear. I had known naught of any such fact that you have just divulged to me. I cannot imagine what compelled the young witch to irreparably destroy something that she must have known to be precious to the boy; but her reasons are inexcusable in the light of what it meant in the bigger picture. I assume this is the reason for her banishment? It crossed some line that had been previously made clear?”

Cook nodded solemnly at the question. “Katarya Frost swore an oath of her own volition to not do anything to me or my family, or to anyone who is under my protection, or in my care. Oaths are very serious things,” he said, shaking his head gently.

Aurae nodded solemnly, the young witch had overstepped her bounds, and at such a young age she was making bad relations with folk Aurae made it a point to stay on the right side of.

“As far as I am aware, no investigation has been conducted but I shall consult with the young Elf you met on your way in. Cithrel is gifted in her magic, and should be able to help us untangle some of the facts surrounding this unfortunate parting of ways.” Guilt and a shared sense of loss could be seen on the womans face, “and I know from personal experience Cook, that no magical heirloom can ever be replaced. I can only express my regret that others could not appreciate it in the same way.”

She took a deep breath, recentering herself as implications and the knock on effects of the previous days events began to settle in her chest like a lead weight. “Artemis is still welcome at the Hart, until we get to the truth of the matter at hand. Is there any further concerns that you may have that I can lay to rest?”
Word count: 562
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Cook shook his head slightly and then stopped. “I appreciate your candor and honesty. If needed, I can ask for the boy to come and be examined. Beyond that I doubt Artemis will seek this place often. Though, he may be willing to accept contracts from afar,” he mused after a moment’s thought.

“Also, know that the Banished one’s fines and debts, six gold in all, were paid in coin. I cannot claim to know where it came from, but it was given by your second.” He grimaced slightly, aware this would likely cause more trouble for the Cáno, but aware he was honorbound to inform her.

“If you feel the need, the Menagerie is out in force for several days. As the Hart is an ally, however distant, I offer their protections to you and yours without strings or debts,” he said evenly. “If you accept, the Rabbits and Hawks will be at your disposal. Fast messengers and keen scouts, likely not too distant from your own. I only hope they might be of use to you, even a little. If further trouble arises and you require the Bears, that would be another matter I hope we do not encounter,” Cook said, motioning to the Bear beside him.

“I would also ask you to accept a case of our dwarven brandy, in exchange for a tasting of a new Elven wine we’ve been offered.” He smiled softly as they moved past the dangerous and serious matters to things more pleasant. “Perhaps we could compare notes once this has all taken its toll. It has been too long since there has been an exchange of thanks between our establishments.”
Word count: 283
Aurae
Character
Level
25 / 25 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Aurae »

Aurae nodded along as she listened to what the head of the Goose had to tell her. The gold did not come as a surprise to her after the initial bomb shell had been dropped on her, there was little else Elara could have done and Katarya was still under their protection and in need of aid. It was however a small fortune and she could foresee a range of possible problems that may arise.
” That is a most kind offer Herú, i do hope we have no need to make use of your contacts , but if so, know that I am very grateful for the assistance.”

She was glad to hear that Elara had started business related communications with the other Tavern, like so many things in life, it all came down to who you knew - rather than what you knew. “Thank you Cook, I am sure this will go down superbly with both the staff and patrons of The White Hart, and I’m glad that a positive opportunity arose from all this mess. I think keeping communications flowing between us and our establishments can only benefit both, I look forward to our next meeting occurring under better circumstances, and thank you for bringing this to my attention so swiftly.” She offered the burly man a delicate hand, exchanging a hand-shake that belied her dainty appearance.

Having seen the humans to the door and happy that everyone was leaving under decent terms, she flopped back into her desk chair in an ungraceful collapse. Fingers massaged her temple as her thoughts churned over what she was going to do about this mess two young people in her care had caused, and how it may impact those around them.
Word count: 290