Frozen Nightmare

A rare beast has been spotted in the Slyscera Mountains. Torin seeks to stop it from terrorizing the countryside.

Divided by the Slyscera Mountains, the northern frostbitten territory of Khy'eras is where the Dwarven city Domrhask was founded. Naturally, this area is difficult to navigate to due to surrounding geographical obstacles and weather. Read more...
Torin
Character
Vile Ender
Level
26 / 26 HP
15 / 15 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 70c
Race: Dwarf
Class: Barbarian

Frozen Nightmare

Post by Torin »

It had taken several lives already. A wolf twice as large as normal. The concerning part was the few that survived claimed the beast had breath like ice. Torin wondered if the creature really was the legendary monster called a Winter Wolf. Reguardless, it mattered little he had made his oath as the Vile Ender to see justice done. His path would be treacherous, but the journey must be made.

He knew to scale the mountains was time consuming. So he spent days looking for a less dangerous path. He found a natural ridge that was so narrow he had to be careful. However, it served his purposes to ascend into the upper peaks. Where his prey waited until it chooses to come down to harass someone else. The wind was strong today, but time was not his ally or he might have waited.

The hike began during a lull in the treacherous wind. As a dwarf he knew the earth had its moods. The key was to place your feet steady as the stone beneath them. As he feared the air flow increased dramatically as hours passed. He was forced to clutch the mountainside for several minutes or be blown on to the sharp rocks below. Severe injuries or even death were real possibilities. Torin had to persevere no matter what obstacles protected his target. As he carried on into a higher area he heard an ominous sound.

The barbarian looked around for the source. He cursed his bad luck, the noise of nature's wrath had hidden its approach. A Winged Avoat stared with menace from behind him. The creature had sharp talons dug into the the cliff side. It's body was covered in thick feathers that were resistant cold. The body was a combination of a predatory bird and a horned goat. Torin knew he was in for a rough battle with his foe having the advantage. He smiled darkly this was exactly how he liked it.
Word count: 329
Torin
Character
Vile Ender
Level
26 / 26 HP
15 / 15 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 70c

Re: Frozen Nightmare

Post by Torin »

Torin drew his Great-Sword since a flying enemy would be extremely difficult to hit with his throwing weapons. He held his weapon defensively awaiting his enemy to make the first move. He didn't have devote much time to it, because the creature was known for savagery. The first move was a ramming manuver. The barbarian stepped aside swinging his blade as he did. Several of the thick feathers fell from the beast. It screeched in pain as he followed thru with a pommel strike to the back of its head. The rebound was severe since the Avoat had a harder head than the most stubborn of dwarves.

A piece of the mountain fell away at its blunt force attack. The creature flew to a distance as another slash from Torin took off some tale feathers. Its ever present fury grew with each bit of damage it took. Next, it tried a dive bomb talons first. The dwarf stepped aside as three red lines appeared on his shoulder. The beast had misjudged the power of its' decent. The Avoat impacted with the mountainside causing debris to fall from above. Then the avalanche began as it fell to the ground unconscious.

The barbarian retreated as quickly as he could grabbing a handful of feathers. The path he had been on for hours was buried in no time. Torin was breathing heavily as he dropped to his knees. Then snow started falling. He could tell this path was no longer an option. A blizzard would bury the way soon enough. He had to find shelter to wait out the storm. All that time lost caused him concern, but won't stop him. After an hour he found a cave to shelter in.
Word count: 288
Torin
Character
Vile Ender
Level
26 / 26 HP
15 / 15 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 70c

Post by Torin »

The dwarf shrugged his shoulders and moved further back in the cave. He could tell by the winds howl that hours would pass before it was safe. Torin pulled out a torch and lit it in a few tries. To his surprise the flame started moving as if there was air flow thru the cave. Intrigued he went to the back of the cave. He found a partial skeleton and noticed the glint of metal. Fifteen copper pieces were scattered around it. Whoever they once were, the coins would do them no good. He gathered the items up and added them to his own purse. The bones crumbled to dust as he stood. He supposed a lot of time had passed since that person lost their life.

His path continued on deeper. He began to step lighter expecting trouble at any point. The barbarian drew a throwing axe since he only had one hand free. After about an hour, a horrendous smell hit his nose. Sadly, he knew it well the smell of fresh death. However, there was more to it and he couldn't figure out what. Soon enough his confusion was cleared away by a loud roar. That sound was one he wasn't expecting, he had wandered into a troll warren. Torin entered a wider space with a high ceiling. The creature was munching on its most recent kill. It looked like a larger than average tundra python. The monster must have ranged pretty far to get that one.

The troll stood its full height as another roar of fury echoed. It wasted no time in charging the living intruder. Its' opponent jumped to the side as a slam attack with both arms cracked the ground. A bite attack followed that sunk into the dwarf's previously uninjured shoulder. The expected scream didn't come as an axe blade cut into its' belly. Blood and entrails splashed the earth as it backed up.

Torin grinned angrily as the usually serious injury nit back together. As expected he needed to be quick and apply fire to the damaged area. On that note he let his throwing weapon fly. He was satisfied to hear the sound of parting flesh as the blade buried itself in an eye. Then his foe screamed in pain. The barbarian charged this time and let loose his rage as he drew another axe. He knew it was reckless, but he needed power and speed to take it down. A rain of blows followed until he managed to expose the troll's spine in three places. That was when it fell, still burning in multiple areas. He knew he had to wait until death was assured. His own body bled in several places as fatigue set in from coming out of rage.

The smell of burnt flesh made him hungry. So he had some iron rations while he waited for the creature to accept its' life was over. At least it warmed the air some. Soon enough he continued on after a little battlefield first aid.
Word count: 506
Torin
Character
Vile Ender
Level
26 / 26 HP
15 / 15 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 70c

Post by Torin »

The path winded as he traveled along. The air flow remained steady for several hours. He had been at it so long his torch was burning itself out so he used the dieing flames to light a fresh one. He kept the dead item so he could stow it for later once it cooled. No point in leaving rubbish behind him. Soon he came to the exit and saw the sun had set as he expected. The moon was full so he could see pretty far. That was when he heard a howl break the silence. The sound was still a good distance away. However, after a few moments he heard half a dozen responses that were much closer.

Immediately, he put his torch out in a nearby mound of snow. Torin quickly covered over the ash residue with fresher powder. Then he stuck the cold wood in his pack and crouched low. He tread more carefully as he searched for tracks to follow. Several wolf prints were scattered around, but one set made the others look small by comparison. The barbarian felt it was a good chance the creature he was after was at the end of this trail.

Thirty minutes passed as the temperature dropped even lower. The dwarf was glad he was use to this kind of weather. Though his polar bear hide armor certainly helped. Then he heard a gruff voice speaking.

"Soon little one you will succumb to the weight of the cold of the Abyss. Then I will have a suitable mate to dominate the Reaches with." The voice was coming from a massive white wolf that had a suttle white mist surrounding it. Ice formed wherever the cloud touched.

It seemed to be addressing a small woman whom had dark blue skin. Fins were where ears would normally be. From her waste down a fish tail was where her legs and feet should be. She had a dim blue glow about her and had her arms bound in a block of ice. She was struggling and seemed to be in great pain. Her black eyes had no pupils as she stared into a small black orb that rested on a flat rock.

Torin had never seen her like before in the Irtuen Reaches. He admitted she possesed an other worldly beauty. Whatever she was, the Winter Wolf shouldn't get what it wanted. The rage within pushed thru and he abandoned caution as he charged. His Great-Sword was drawn as he narrowly missed his foe with a side slash. Disturbing laughter from the monster followed as frozen breath engulfed the dwarf.
Word count: 437
Torin
Character
Vile Ender
Level
26 / 26 HP
15 / 15 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 70c

Post by Torin »

"That is what happens to mortals who arrogantly think they can kill me." The wolf laughed more as it turned away from the foolish dwarf before he could see the mist of its breath clear. "Now little water spirit where were we? Oh yes, I was watching your conversion to one of my kind. The demon was right time is all you need to become mine." Suddenly, the creature howled in pain as a throwing axe buried itself in his back.

"Thanks for revealing your plans, like a proper overconfident villan." Torin grinned darkly at his adversary. Then hurled another weapon as the creature pulled the axe out with its teeth. Springing back as it did expecting another hit. However, the weapon was nowhere near him instead a sound like shattering glass made the real target clear. The black orb had shattered on contact with the axe blade. The water spirit passed out as the strain on her face disappeared.

"You blasted dwarf how dare you interrupt my work! How can you even move let alone talk?" The Winter Wolf growled with fury.

Torin laughed somewhat strangely, then responded. "Avoat feathers are quite useful in dealing with extremely low temperatures." Touching every scrap of exposed skin was the items he mentioned.

The monster scoffed at his ingenuity. "So what mortal, I don't need ice to kill you." The creature howled loudly and several responses could be heard instantly. In just a few minutes while barbarian and beast struggled for victory six normal wolves arrived.

Torin was glad to see them in a way. The noble death he sought may be within reach. Though the reaper was at his back that Winter Wolf was dieing first. He flew into a rage once more abandoning all hope of survival. As he struggled with the pack master the other wolves attacked any openings he showed. The Vile Ender was now bleeding from countless wounds. His blood was not all that stained the ground however. As he severed their leaders head he found himself standing on the edge of a cliff. Four wolves remained as two others had fallen from the very precipice he stood at, thanks to his own strength.

He didn't expect what happened next. The water spirit awoke and screamed in a high pitch as spikes of ice impaled the remaining creatures. Torin dropped to his knees surprised that he was still breathing. At least for now since he was losing more blood by the second. His words were spoken kindly to the water lady as she tried to catch him. "Thank you lady spirit, but I'm afraid it's too late. He passed out as she spoke gently in a strange language that sounded like a quiet stream as fish splashed. A nice sound in his last moments he thought.

Oddly she turned her head to the area below the cliff. She looked distraught as she turned into bubbles and seemed to head downwards. It would have been a weird sight had someone been around to see.
Word count: 506
Vent
Character
Stress reliever and Trevor
Level
46 / 46 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c
Race: Elemental
Class: Ranger

Post by Vent »

Vent had heard from a rumor monger. That a lot of people had disappeared in the area he was now in. He wouldn't call himself a hero. However, he would eventually lose business as a guide if it kept up. Idol's willing it wasn't anything too difficult to deal with. Suddenly, he heard a howl break the otherwise quiet night. Well the moon was full so that seemed normal. Thankfully it sounded a decent distance away. He didn't feel like fighting hungry wolves tonight.

After about ten minutes, he heard beastial cries of pain above him. He looked up just in time to move as one wolf body struck the ground near him. Then continued rolling further down the cliff. The ranger wondered what had caused such a thing. However, soon another canine corpse struck the ground behind him. This body had lost most of its momentum hitting the cliff walls above. He quickly examined the creature and found it had several blade wounds. Oh great someone was fighting a pack of wolves higher on the mountain. "What do you think Trevor is this our problem?"

The tiny turtle shook its head in the negative. Then a scream echoed on the mountain that tickled Vent's memory. It startled the dragon turtle and caused the elemental to dive for cover. The ranger could feel the natural forces brought to bare in his blood. Shortly after that a cloud of bubbles descended on him. Then they turned into an Undine he knew well. His next words were spoken in a language he hadn't used since he was fourteen. It sounded like a river flowing towards a waterfall. Mizua how are you, I thought your underground river was miles from here.

The blue woman answered in the same language. "I have no time for your masculine postering my Bridge! One of the terrans is bleeding out in the snow above. He saved me from an ice wolf that dared to forcibly attempt to make me accept him as a Bridge. Come now and we shall revisit your status to me.

Vent nodded with concern and turned into his cloud form. Mizua became bubbles again and together they ascended. He made sure to have part of him be thick enough to carry Trevor.
Word count: 379
Torin
Character
Vile Ender
Level
26 / 26 HP
15 / 15 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 70c

Post by Torin »

The smell of smoke touched his nose. He felt a pleasant warmth near him. As he started to think the afterlife wasn't so bad. The scent of chared wolf meat hit him. His food of choice wouldn't have been that. Suddenly his eyes popped open and he realized he was laying on his bedroll. A red haired dwarf he didn't recognize was sitting on the other side of a fire. He felt sore all over, but tried to scan the area stealthily for his weapons. To his surprise a few feet from him they were in a pile with of all things a turtle laying on them.

Trevor noticed the not friend looking about. To get his master's attention he let out a small cloud of steam. Then tried to glare at his charge. However, any observer that had a heart would have thought it was adorable.

"I wouldn't underestimate Trevor if I were you. Stop pretending your not awake alright." Vent smiled at the dwarf as he spoke. He was very glad Mizua had listened to his plea and left the two mortals alone for now. "Those wolves you killed have more meat than usual. I'm Vent professional guide. Who might you be sir?"

"Torin the clanless, Vile Ender." He sat up and took a more informed look around. Four standard wolf hides were stacked near his equipment. His trained eye could tell they were properly cured. Two others were still secured to racks designed for tanning. He noticed a lot of dried meat piled on a nearby weather proofed leather blanket. This kid definitely knew how to survive in the harsh reaches. Though he noticed the Winter Wolf's remains were odly absent. "How long have I been out? Also, where is their pack master?"

"Nice to meet you Torin." The ranger looked over his labor and considered the questions. "About three days. If you mean the massive white wolf it was strange. When I started to skin it the whole body disappeared into a lightless void!"

"Seems it did make a deal with a fiend. The creature claimed as much before I killed it." The barbarian looked for his new scars as he stood. He found none and noticed some of his older badges of honor had lightened significantly. "Where is the proof of my conquest!"

"Oh sorry about you battle scars. The Undine insisted on purging your injuries." He left unsaid that Mizua refused to listen. When he tried to explain the value of such things to mortals.

"I guess nothing can be done. Allow me to assist you with the work I made." The two beings settled into a comfortable silence as they worked.

After a breakfast of dried wolf meat. The pair set off down the mountain. About noon on the next day they noticed a flock native birds take off. The speed of their retreat caused the two pause. Something dangerous must be coming. They shared a look of preparedness. Unfortunately for them, finding another pass would take hours if not days. Given the rumbling they felt in the ground. Neither warrior thought that kind of time was available.
Word count: 525