The Three Beacons (open, if you wish)

The young Witch, Katarya and her friend, take a look at the last functioning Lighthouse in Fellsguard.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

The Three Beacons (open, if you wish)

Post by Katarya Frost »

Walking with linked arms, Katarya and her closest (perhaps only) friend, Cora, walked the streets of Fellsguard, occasionally stopping at some store of other to browse wares, or to even treat themselves on their day out.

Though she had first been resistant to the idea: “I see no point in going ‘for a nice walk’, when I could be doing much more productive things with my time.” She had said, when Cora had suggested it. Katarya had just closed the shop and sent Lily home with a few coppers and a scented candle for the little girl’s mother. “Unless you’re planning a jolly jaunt up to the noble district, there’s hardly much to look at!”

But Cora had been insistent. “You can’t spend all day working and all night studying!”

“Why not?” Kat had countered. “I enjoy it … mostly.”

“I shan’t take ‘no’ for an answer, Kat.” Cora had said, pulling her cloak around her shoulders. “Tomorrow after breakfast, we’re going out!” And then she simply left, leaving Kat sighing in resigned frustration.

But as her boots tapped through the city, Katarya had to grudgingly admit to herself that it --was nice to get out of the shop for something other than work (though the wine was good at The Goose, it was still work). So she had indulged her friend, who had turned up with a basket full of food, ringing the bell while Katarya had still been yawning.

“Good morning, Miss Cora!” Old Mister Redshaw had called as they passed him on the street. He also nodded to Katarya. “And to you, Miss.” He said, with less warmth.

Cora had returned a cheerful ‘good day’, and glanced to Kat as they walked. “What’d you do to him! He was a bit frosty back there!”

Kat simply shrugged. “The same as I had done to everyone else; dared to be a businesswoman at 22 years old, and add that to the fact that my grandmother was a saint to these people, and I’m a little more …”

“Abrasive?” Cora offered, with a small laugh.

Kat chuckled. “People are probably calling me much worse than that!” Her eyes scanned the shops as they walked. “All people want from women our age is to be all demure and compliant. It irritates me, no end.”

“Didn’t Lilian teach you to respect your elders?”

Katarya nodded. “All the time … I just didn’t really pay much attention.” She gave her friend a smile. “Come on. I’m sick of saying hello to every person we pass; let’s get to the spot where we can relax.”

As Cora laid out the food she had brought in the wicker basket, Kat stood with her hands on the thick wall that separated the city from the sea beyond. Her eyes were not on the rolling waves though, instead she looked up at the famous Lighthouse, it’s light still visible in the mid-morning sun.

The Lighthouse, one of three, but the only one still in operation, was burned into the minds of all of Fellsguard, and the impressive and awesome history of them. These Lighthouses that had protected the city, breaking the spell of the great enemy. It was even said that Cecilia herself had died inside this particular Lighthouse.

“Sardines or salmon?” Cora spoke up, breaking Kat’s thoughts.

“Salmon?” Kat turned and made her way to the little bench. It was a bit further down from where others gathered to gawk at the grand Lighthouse, making it quieter and allowed the two women to converse without being overheard. “Someone is doing well for themselves! I’ll have a bit of both, please.”

Cora placed the fish on two plates, splitting both pieces into two portions. She smiled as Katarya expressed her delight at the salmon. “Well, Mack is working double shifts so we have plenty for when the baby is born.” She placed a hand on her stomach, looking down with so much love in her eyes. “I simply can’t wait for him or her to come!”

Katarya helped herself to some buttered bread. “I can imagine! Swollen ankles, back aches, having to use every toilet you see … I don’t think I could do it myself!”

Cora poured them some milk, but shook her head. “Oh no, I didn’t mean anything like that! I have loved having this little one inside me. When I found out I was pregnant …”

Kat rolled her eyes. “Yes, yes! You were overjoyed! The old gods had blessed you and you couldn’t have been happier.” She took a bite of her bread. “If you tell me that story one more time I may be forced to throw you into the ocean.”

Cora smiled. “I’m very heavy.”

“I’d manage.”

This made Cora laugh. It was one of the most wonderful things about her; she was --always cheerful. She was kind and polite, and so well liked. Their friendship was a mystery to everyone (including Katarya, sometimes), but the girls, who could not have been more different in temperament and outlook, had been best friends since they were in school. Cora had been a steadying influence on Katarya, but it hadn’t stopped the young witch from getting into trouble at some point or other.

Kat’s eyes went back to the Lighthouse. “You know … even though the lore tells us that Cecilia broke the spell over the city using the Lighthouses … which in my mind, makes them magical in and of themselves.”

Cora shrugged. “I suppose so.”

Kat’s eyes took in the great Lighthouse. It was truly magnificent. It seemed to climb high into the heavens, strong and sturdy, a massive structure, standing as if to remind the world of the power and magic that had once ravished the land, and how it had saved them all. “Well, if you think about it, how hypocritical of the authorities on their ridiculous rules on magic when we have --that staring down at us everyday!” She put down her mug. “It’s irritating that I have to completely hide who I am in this city. Frankly, I am sick of it.”

That seemed to catch her friend’s attention. “You’re not planning on leaving, are you?!” She asked, with some alarm in her voice.

“I don’t know,” was the reply. “Not any time soon, I suppose. But we all hear the stories of Ajteir, a place where magic is welcome. I often think of it, these days. Especially as I learn more from the books my grandmother left me.”

Cora took her hand. “I’d be devastated, Kat!” She patted her stomach. “And this little one will need their Auntie Katarya to teach her, or him, and to care for the little one as they grow up!”

Kat squeezed her friend’s hand. “I’m not going anywhere, just yet.” She said. “And besides, I hardly think Mack will want his child turning out anything like me.”

“Mack --does like you!” Cora said, knowing exactly what Kat meant. “He’s just not used to … well, you just intimidate him, is all. And no wonder!”

Kat laughed. “Well, I certainly do my best! Though you’ve never been intimidated by me. Even when you found out I was a Witch!”

“Hush, now!” Cora said, glancing over her shoulder. “If anyone hears you talk like that …”

“Then I’ll be whisked away, never to be seen again?” Kat teased. “Oh don’t worry. No one can hear me, and plus, I would know if anyone was close by. It’s a talent of mine.” Her eyes went back to the Lighthouse. “It’s beautiful, in its own way.”

Cora turned to look. “It’s a bit … daunting. Makes me feel so tiny!”

“Well, considering its history, it’s not surprising, really. I’d love to go inside, one day, maybe see what it feels like, to feel if there is any magic still in the air, if there ever was one.”

Cora shifted in the bench. “I’m sorry to break your trance, but I really need to use the bathroom.”

Kat gave an exasperated sigh. “Again?”

Cora rose to her feet, hand on her belly. “You try holding a person inside of you for nine months and then you’ll be a bit more sympathetic!”

Kat laughed and began to pack away their meal. “Not a chance. I will leave the population boosting up to you and Mack, if you don’t mind!”
Word count: 1427

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"