Herbal Helper

All you wanted was a bandage, but it turns out the hospital needs help too. There's a missing and very necessary herb an

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Herbal Helper

Post by Katarya Frost »

As Kat sat in the white, clean waiting room of the Enlann owned hospital, it was strange to her to be here as a patient, and not here on business.

Now that her livelihood had been destroyed - along with all her own medical supplies - she had found herself quite at a loss. She still had patients, although most of them she had had to explain that she could no longer treat them, as she didn’t have anything to treat them with! These days, she was more of a consultant than a practitioner; she basically went on her rounds diagnosing, but hardly ever being able to actually treat them! Also, most of her clients had quickly (and probably understandably) gone to other alchemists and apothecarists, who could actually treat them.

She was here to get bandages. So simple, and yet she had never had to do it before! She had always treated herself, or her grandmother had, when she was still alive.

But now …

Katarya sighed, thinking of her shop, and couldn’t keep away the sinking sadness that kept threatening to bring her to tears.

“Miss Frost?”

Katarya looked up as her name was called. She recognised the nurse immediately, the two women had known each other on a business level for some time. Nodding, Kat stood and rose, following the nurse to a small room.

“I couldn’t believe it when I heard,” the nurse said, as they sat across from each other. “I can’t imagine what you must be feeling.”

Kat sipped the tea the nurse had given her, cherishing the fine flavour and sweetness. ”To be honest, I can hardly believe it myself, at times.” She admitted. ”I sometimes find myself heading back in the direction of it when I finish my rounds only to remember that it’s all gone.”

The nurse frowned and patted Katarya’s knee. “You poor thing,” she said kindly. “I had no idea that you were still doing rounds!” There was a hint of doubt in her eyes.

But who could blame her? An alchemist without any tools or ingredients wasn’t much of an alchemist at all! Luckily, she could still do a few things, especially for those that were too poor to seek out a healer … usually the folk of the slums, a place where Kat found almost all of her work. ”I do what I can; mostly consulting. Often people don’t need anything but a diagnosis, and my services are a lot cheaper these days!”

Despite the optimism in her voice, the nurse still looked at her with those sad eyes. “Well, I’m sure we can get you the bandages you requested.” She said, setting her own cup aside. “And don’t worry about paying right now; just don’t take too long or I’ll be given a stern talking to for giving out supplies without getting the coin. Pay me back when you’re ready …

”But don’t take too long, right?” Kat laughed. ”I’ll make sure you get the coin the day after tomorrow.”

That seemed to satisfy the nurse, who got up and started placing the requested supplies aside for the young witch. “I’ve no doubt.” She said. “It’s a double shame that you lost your supplies; the hospital is dealing with a bout of ‘Sailor’s Mark’, and we haven’t got the herb in stock. None of the other shops or clinics have it in. Your place usually could produce some of the more unusual herbs.”

”Yes, I had heard that had being making the rounds. I’ve not encountered it since I was a little girl learning from my Grandmother.” She thought for a moment; this might be a good way to make some coin. “What herb do you need?”

Pulling her cloak around her a little tighter (it was an oddly cold autumn day), Kat made her way through the streets shifting her bag from one hand to the other. The thing was heavy, as it contained pretty much all of her belongings that she used as a baseless healer.

Now she had a destination in mind; House Enlann. She had been before, of course. It was a requirement (or at least, strongly advised) that anyone acting as a healer in any regard, register with the esteemed noble house. Coin was hard to come by, and the nurse had given her a good tip that might help line her pockets with more than lint!

She had been met by a guard who had, after giving her a doubtful look (her clothes weren’t as well kept for since she didn’t have access to cleaning and mending services whenever she needed to), she was finally allowed to see a member of staff.

The man gave her the same look as the guard did, although it helped that he actually knew Katarya from previous dealings. When he expressed his condolences regarding her shop, it didn’t sound very sincere.

Yes, I am here on business,” she responded, after he asked, n doubt what business she could possibly offer now she was desititute. I have it on good authority that the hospitals are struggling to cope with an outbreak of Sailor’s Mark; they also seem to be in short supply of Bird’s Beak … fenugreek”

“I know what Bird’s Feet is, miss Frost,” The man sniffed.

”Of course, my apologies,” she said, irritated that she was having to be so humble to this stuck up servant. She actually doubted if he had actually known the old name for the herb at all! ”I know of the herb, of course, and what it looks like. I used to stock it myself, but … well, after the fire …”

“Quite,” the man said.

”Anyway, I was wondering if you had any idea where I might find some? The only place I know might hold some has already been stripped dry of the herb, but if there is some place else.”

“Five copper.” The man said, almost immediately.

Katarya blinked. ”Excuse me?”

“Five copper,” the man repeated, slower. “I can have a marked map in your hands … for the small fee of five copper pieces.”

Kat resisted the urge to give the man a good talking to. House Enlann wouldn’t usually ask for money for something like this! No doubt the man intended for the coin to line his own pocket. Still, if she managed to find the herb, five copper aside, she’d still make a profit. ”Very well.” She agreed, reluctantly.

Getting up early the next day, Kat felt extremely tired. She had spent the night at Cora’s, and the new baby had woken up more times than her addled brain could count, during the night. Still, how could Kat complain when Cora and Mack had let her stay the night (Mack had been more reluctant than his wife; he had never particularly liked Kat).

But she had a long trek ahead of her today. After giving Cora a hug and thanking her for the meal she had prepared for her, Kat headed out to face the day.

With a deep sigh of frustration, Katarya slapped her skin where the insect was currently biting, then grimaced as she wiped it’s remains off with a leaf. On her shoulder, Nyx, her raven familiar, chattered in amusement. ”Oh hush you,” she said, sullenly.

She had been out for hours and was not having much luck. The day had brought some rain, and the ground was moist and muddy from the last week of constant showers. She wondered what she must look like, and decided to take a break and eat something.

Though she would never have been described as ‘beautiful’, she had always took pride in her appearance. She always wore well made clothes, and always dressed in a ‘respectable’ manner; no tops that showed off her cleavage, no shirts that showed her knees … but the clothes that had survived (which is to say, what she was wearing the day of the fire) were starting to give in and fall apart, and so she was forced to wear whatever she could (the girls at the Goose had been willing to give her a few odd bits, but some of the clothing offered had been more revealing than she had been comfortable with - but recently, she had found she had had to make do and be grateful for it).

She took out a handful of blueberries, which she shared with Nyx as she rested under a large tree, the leaves of which kept much of the showering rain at bay. ”I don’t suppose you know where I ought to be looking?” She said, to Nyx. ”Because I seem to have no idea!”

Nyx swallowed a blueberry and cocked her head, croaking at her master.

Kat seemed to understand … their bond was becoming stronger every day, and though she wasn’t able to have the fluent dialogue that more experienced witches and wizards had with their familiars, she could usually get a sense of what the raven was saying. ”I suppose I could try a locating spell … but without at least a leaf from the herb, it’ll be very difficult.”

Nyx croaked again, as if in disagreement. She shook her head and fluttered her wings; maybe it was just as frustrating for Nyx as it was for Kat when she couldn’t make her master understand what she was trying to tell her.

”I have no idea what you’re trying to suggest.” She admitted. ”Sorry, Nyx.”

The raven ate another blueberry and turned spreading her wings and taking flight, chattering as she did.

Getting to her feet, Kat at least knew that Nyx wanted her to follow along.

With the raven now perched on her shoulder, Kat’s eyes looked at the small hut dubiously. ”You’re sure?” She asked Nyx, who squarwked in a response. ”If you say so!” Kat’s hand went to the amulet around her neck; it felt cool to the touch, so she was carefully confident that there was no threat here, but she was still nervous about interacting with anyone who lived in a hut in the middle of nowhere.

When she reached the door, she glanced aside as Nyx left her shoulder to perch on the roof of the hut. ”Not coming in? But it’s fine for me to do so, all by myself? That hardly inspires confidence!” She said, then knocked at the door.

”That’s cos I have it.”

Kat stared at the large man who had a smug grin on his face. ”All of it?!” She asked, her heart sinking.

She had knocked at the door and was greeted by a barrel-chested man who looked exactly like one would expect of someone who lived in a hut in the middle of the countryside. The modest hut was warm and cozy, though; full of a lot of animal skins and the enticing smell of cooking meat. The man was a hunter, who, after inviting her in and offering her tea, told her that he would sell pelts and furs in Fellsguard, although she herself had never seen him before. Since she had no need of furs or pelts (she had always bought her clothes ready made, and had no skill with a needle and thread), it stood to reason the two had never crossed paths.

Now he was telling her that he had gathered all of the fenugreek in the area that the map given to her by the Enlann servant marked. It was stupid to take them all, and she wished she had the luxury of telling him so. But she needed to keep him friendly.

So: ”That’s quite a feat!” She said, feigning admiration. ”I’m sure you’ll make a pretty penny with all of that!”

The man grinned at her words. “And then some!” he said. “Word is, is that it’s not just your man who's got it; it’s going through the city and catching on to folks fast. The hospital will be pretty generous when I turn up tomorrow! But,” he said, with a kind smile to her. “I believe I can spare a few leaves for your man.”

”Oh, thank you so very much.” Kat said. She had invented a simple story of being the girl to a sailor who had caught the unfortunate illness, as an explanation to why she was seeking out the herbs.

“Let me get you sorted,” the man rose and turned away, rummaging through a cupboard. “Just one moment, miss.”

One moment was all Kat needed. As fast as she could, she dipped her hands into her pocket, taking hold of the small vial, and added a few drops of the clear liquid it contained to the mug that the man had been drinking from. She barely got the vial back in her pocket as he turned back to her, smiling as he held up his hand. “Here we go!”

It had been early evening when Katarya had finally returned to the city. Luckily, the trip had been uneventful, aside from drugging the poor man she had encountered (thanks to Nyx’s help … the bird had been spoiled with berries on their return journey). She couldn’t say she was completely proud of herself for what she had done, but she needed to eat, and he hadn’t looked like he was struggling at all.

And so she made her way to the hospital where she presented the herbs, and taking the coin gratefully. Although her stomach was calling out for a big, hot meal, she would have to settle for something modest so that she might purchase more supplies. If she was to rebuild her life, she needed to spend money to make money … a phrase she hated, and usually used by the wealthy.

That night, she slept a little better knowing her purse was a little heavier than it had been for days.
Word count: 2348

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"