I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Katarya and Dáire are contracted to retrieve a special item of great value to Aurae, Mistress of The White Hart tavern.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis felt a lightness in his chest as he talked to the elf. It was always pleasant to indulge in some banter and teasing to ease the burdens of the day. He felt another pang of regret when his argument with Katarya was mentioned, but he tried his best to keep it contained.

"I've never been good with the whole romance thing. Sure, dine, drink, tell them their eyes sparkle in the moonlight, but not had much practice with the stuff days after," he said with a sigh. "So, I haven't even known her that long, but things got real complicated real fast. You know her house burned down? I was getting set on fire doing a job for her somewhere else at the same time." Artemis paused to take another drink of his wine, feeling the warmth spread down his throat. "Then I give her a place to sleep, get her back on her feet a bit. Some stuff happens, we go to her old place to get some things, there's a fucking mage there too," he says, putting his head in his hands.

"I don't even like magic, it makes my skin crawl. Long story short, I died, but didn't. We took a few tumbles, went on some dates, and now she wants to pay me off instead of just answering some Kaxitaki claimed questions." He peeked through his hands at Raen. "Also, I'm damn sure she's gone to that big guy, Dáire. If not for his bed, then at least his arms," he added with more venom than he intended.

"So I'll try to drown that a bit, take the cold walk home, and sleep alone again I guess. I just wanted a hug, some kisses, some answers, and to fall asleep warm. How about you, anything exciting in hot Elf land?" Artemis asked, closing his eyes to rest his head more fully on the table.
Word count: 320
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Bard

Post by Raen Silver »

Raen shook his head, his face a picture of sorrow. "Such is the life of the short lived ... I almost envy you. You live with such immediate passions! And you mourn that the witch goes to seek solace in another man's arms? Why not simply do the same?!" He grinned.

"As for my night, well, it is still young! There are songs to sing, drinks to drink, and legs to be parted ..." He flashed a bright smile. "That's the wonderful thing about nighttime; its delicious fruits that are more beautiful in the light of only the stars!" he chuckled.

He sipped his wine, and then motioned for one of the servers as she passed. "Y' yulna en' thien beleg, amin nowa, saesa." He let out a laugh as she rolled her eyes, but she had nodded. He returned back to speaking the common tongue. I thought we could use something a little stronger. I do like to be a little light headed when my head hit's the pillow, either one made of feathers or flesh." he grinned. Raen obviously enjoyed himself, maybe even more than anyone enjoyed him!

"You've been awfully candid about her," he said, as the waitress returned with a bottle and two smaller cups. He gave her a wink and a 'thank you' then poured them both a short drink of a light green spirit. The smell was sweet, but strong. "I can't imagine you've done her many favours while the Quimellë is within earshot." He motioned to the bar. A tall woman with dark eyes was watching the pair; her expensive clothing and haughty aura of command made it clear she was high up in the chain of things. Raen smiled though. "Though I doubt she'll get into any trouble. You're a Human, a man, and a Salquë ... so I doubt the women will take your side."

He held his cup up to toast. "Fair warning, it'll burn a little on it's way down, but is oh so wonderful once it is ... to you! And a pox on the cold hearts of the magically inclined" Raen knocked back the drink, and smacked his lips, enjoying the burn which gave his cheeks a pink colour.
Word count: 368

"There is no greater gift than that of verse well given."
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis felt Raen's smile and the warmth in his gut. He wasn't certain exactly what he wanted from being here, spilling his woes. 'To be loved, even for a moment,' his heart shouted into his head. The man was offering to him, and clearly would be more fun than dodging cutpurses across the district.

Artemis nodded at the mention of stronger drink. His cheeks had started to ache from the amount of smiling he was doing since he'd gotten downstairs. When there was mention of 'lady' again he followed Raen's motion towards the bar. The woman standing there certainly looked like the kind that Cook could go toe-to-toe with for brooding power.

"Maybe, Kat should have considered that, before she granted me the privilege of leaving her room," he said nodding to the woman expecting a glare back. "You keep saying that word- Salquë - I take it to be not much different than rat?" Artemis asked. "Though I imagine I'll not be welcome back anymore. A shame, the carvings are wonderful, I'd enjoy seeing them calmly one day," he added with a tinge of sadness to his voice.

Artemis toasted the man back, "To the dreams we can't have and the pain we take instead," he replied to the Elf's toast. The drink burned like a punch to the throat, but then it hit him again with a sense of floating. Artemis' eyes widened and he let loose a birdsong that slurred at the end. {Bright. Fire. Fun. Sin-} He shook himself to regain his composure. "If you've got a bed that's warm, I wouldn't mind those arms around me to greet the stars."
Word count: 276
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire waved her offers of wine off, his head still feeling somewhat fuzzy from the large amount he’d consumed earlier. He lent back against the wall behind his cot as she settled in his desk chair, and found himself trying to smile but it was more of a grimace when she admitted to what had gone down. Not that he had already heard most of it. “Kat, I think most of the tavern herd the, urm … disagreement you and Artemis had there but I would maybe wait until morning, and then see if you still want to hex the man.” He gave her a real smile then, his mind momentarily wandering to what she’d actually hex him with.
He had to make conscious decisions to shake that train of thought quickly as she moved on. He chuckled at the insinuation that he was considered a female friend, “You know I’m always here for you to bounce ideas off, but when in the time we’ve been friends, when did you formulate the idea that I may have such wisdom?” Dáire grinned at her, “Kat, my friend, from what I heard, neither of you actually know how to listen! You’re both…” He shook his head and flopped back onto his bed groaning, “stubborn, hot headed humans.”

Rubbing his palms over his face, he tried clearing is mind enough to think somewhat straight. He had little experience in this, things never went on long enough for these problems to arise! Letting his head fall to the side he met her eyes again, “What is that you want Kat? Not from me, but from your situation with Artemis. If you still want him, your little wine bathed mind better switch to thoughts other than hilarious hexes to place upon him.“ He chuckled again at the images that brought forth, “I’m sorry, I had a fair amount of drink before coming up here myself.”
Word count: 327
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Raen Silver »

Raen shook his head. "No, no ...Salquë means ..." The young Elf thought for a moment. "I think the easiest word to give would be 'other' ... it means you are not part of the Kelbé house. It is given to everyone, even some elves, if they have displeased any of the higher ups." When Artemis made his pointed remark in the direction of Elára he grinned. "But yes, I don't think it would be wise to come back here, after tonight ... that might be problematic."

He poured them another drink, and downed it immediately. "There is enough prejudice in this world that I would never call someone a 'rat' without proper cause." He tipped his head and smiled. "Besides, we have Elvish curses much more satisfying, should we ever really want to be so vindictive!"

When Artemis suggested they share a bed, Raen gave a dramatic sigh. "Ah, would that you had asked me before all the shouting!" He said, with playful sorrow. "But alas! You have offended a member of this house! A Lassë, who has earned her place here ... I'm afraid sharing your bed would now be considered sleeping with the enemy ... unless she gave her permission to do so." He cocked his head. "Maybe she would! Should I ask?!" He said with a grin. "But you talk with such passion, when you speak of her ... that kind of passion can only come from true love, and I would be the worst of bards if I intruded on the very subject that kept coins in my pocket." His shoulders slumped. "A true shame ... a crime, even! I imagine you would have been quite fun to shake the leaves with, master Salquë!"
Word count: 283

Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat maned a smile as he called them 'hot-headed humans'. "Very well," she said. "Just because you think it best, I shan't hex anyone this evening. No promises on tomorrow, though."

When he asked her what she wanted, she felt genuinely at a loss of what to say. She took a long drink of her wine before she answered, then pulled a pin from her braid so her hair was free; she wanted to relax, as she felt so tightly wound. Looking at Dáire, she shrugged. "In all honesty, my friend; I have no idea." She admitted. "I have never been in a loving relationship before, and had vowed long ago that I wouldn't get into one ... well ... ever! It just didn't seem likely. I'm a witch, and settling down with a man of my station ... my previous station, just seemed like a tale of the Fae! But then Artemis came along ..." She shook her head, combing her fingers through her hair thoughtfully as she spoke. Dáire had that effect on her; his presence was soothing. "He was ... 'other', you know, with him, the term 'Salquë' really does apply. He's different, he's exciting and dangerous, but he has so much depth and such a history ... he's had so much pain, and I want to just wrap him up and fight the world off, so that he might have some peace." She gave a short, humourless laugh. "But that's not me ... I was always teased for my surname ... not because it is a stupid name, or anything, but because it was like the surname defined me: cold ... like frost."

She sat back further in her chair as the wine and conversation slowly relaxed her. "I just fear that we'll never be able to overcome our differences. Because we have such different pasts, and have walked almost comletely opposing paths, there is no way for us to communicate properly, without sex ..." She flushed at that. "Apologies, she said, meekly. "It's the wine."

"It's all down to communication. Both of us are trying to say something, and what both of us are hearing is nothing like what was intended to be heard ..." She realised she was babbling. "I sound like an idiot. I beg of you; please chime in and tell me that I'm not doomed to live the rest of my life making everyone want to put a dagger in my gut!" She looked at him. "You must have had a romance or two in your years ... give me your sage advice, oh mighty Nuinë!"
Word count: 426

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Challenge Roll
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Artemis felt the cold water of the bard's statements hit him. He grunted as if struck and steeled himself to stand. "Fair, I'll go then. Many thanks for the drink. Perhaps more for the words, though I imagine they'll do little to quell my burning wreckage of a life," he said as he moved out of the chair.

He reached into the inner pouch of his vest, removing a delicate looking silver bracelet with a several charms. A key, a heart, and a songbird dangled from the linked chain that appeared Elven in make. "If you could, this goes with the earring she wears. I don't know what it does, but I felt it grow cold when I was near her. If she won't take it, give it to the- Quimellë - with my apologies," he also deposited a silver onto the table and began his stumbling walk home.

Artemis had managed to get all the way to the cleared yard beside his secluded warehouse home. The cold and walking had cleared his head more than he expected, though he knew there would be a steep price to pay in the morning. Despite this, he'd looked at the boxes he'd need to climb to reach the roof and felt a roiling in his gut. Preferring not to break his own neck, he'd walked around to take the ground floor doors instead.

The gang of thugs, three burly looking men, and one that looked like a weasel, were currently taunting him and looked ready to draw blades. He set his top hat onto a broken box and stepped towards the men, his arms held out wide. "Gentlemen, you're on my property, and I am feeling far from generous," he said in a conversational tone.

The thugs jumped down from their perches and approached him menacingly. "You deaf and dumb asshole," one asked.

"This is our turf, and you're going to bleed on it," another added as they started to spread out. The weasley man stayed silent and Artemis noticed he was cradling something in the crook of his arm. 'Crossbow, kill him first, use it if I can,' he thought as the memories of the past few hours faded and his thoughts focused to a razor's edge.

The first thug that had spoken brandished a knife and Artemis took that as his sign to begin. His lunge past the big men was near instant. The finely crafted knife buried into the weasel's gut and swiped out, blood poured down and insides spilled. Artemis' free hand shot out to snatch the loaded crossbow as the man reached for his guts instinctively.

He stepped, spinning around the falling man and firing the single bolt into the eye of the thug that had remained silent. The snap of the man's head sounded like thunder to the thief. As the body crumpled Artemis moved towards the man to his right. He seemed to know how to hold a knife and had taken a defensive stance.

Just before he reached the man, the other thug charged. Artemis dashed to the side, throwing his hand out to flip a blade into the charging man's throat. He swept his other hand across, using the wooden stock of the crossbow to catch the trained man's wide swipe.

The wooden weapon was torn from his grasp and Artemis stumbled back at the force of the swing. He knelt down, as if he'd fallen. The man growled and moved in with a reaching thrust. Artemis drew his hand up to hit the man in the gut at the last moment.

Artemis took the blow on the chest, there was a loud clang of metal striking metal, and he felt like he'd been kicked by a mule. He managed to rake his own blade deep into his attacker's belly before he collapsed to the ground heaving.

After several long moments to catch his breath Artemis checked himself over. There was a gash in his vest, and he touched tenderly around the area. The cold metal plates beneath were still in place.

"Damnit, I just got this too," he said, gasping for air. Then he scrambled to his feet. He didn't need more blood on his clothes than necessary. He managed to limp his way into the warehouse after stripping the men of anything useful.

'At least I got a crossbow,' he thought as he dumped the items into an open crate in his room. He took off his clothes carefully, not wanting to damage them further, before simply collapsing onto the straw mattress. "I just wanted to have something," he mumbled as the alcohol and exhaustion took him.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 19th, 2019, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 780
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Raen Silver »

Raen's eyes went to the bracelet, and he gave the Human a nod and a wistful smile. I'll ensure she get's it..

As the man left, Raya came to the table to take away the excess cups. "What were doing, talking to him?" She asked, pulling a face.

The boy looked up, resuming his position with his legs on the table, giving her a reproachful look. "Dearest Raya; you have no idea; that man is consumed by more motions than could fit in your heart, and would baffle your pretty, but empty head. What you saw there, was a creature engulfed in passion and love ... I am quite jealous! The witch drove him off."

Raya snorted and placed the things on her tray. "Well, I'm with her on this. Shouting at a woman like that, for all the tavern to hear! He has no thought for her reputation."

"That's because, sweet and oblivious Raya; he thinks only of heart's desire ... and such a heart! I may even ask the Lassë is I may shake his branch, just the one time." And smiled at her outraged face.

"You wouldn't!"

Raen glanced down at his hand, the beautiful bracelet sitting neatly in it. He sighed; as he said, he could never obstruct the path of true love. "Yes, you're right. I wouldn't ... another Elf maid to share my bed with, instead. Fair and sweet she might be, but I shall lament the loss I suffered this night. Now, go!" he commanded. "Leave me alone with my lurid thoughts."

The girl obliged, shaking her head as she went.

Raen played with the bracelet, admiring the charms ... no doubt a gift he would have given her this night if they hadn't fought. Raen would see she got it when the night had passed. He didn't want to see the thing thrown from a window in rage; the witch was rather tempestuous.
Word count: 317

Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Kats spoke so freely of her inner thoughts and feeling for her lover, it sent a pang of longing ripped through Dáire, something which he hadn't felt in such a long time. He nodded understandingly; ‘other’ he could understandvery easily. He frowned slightly though, at the teasing the locals had given her. “Do you really believe you are cold? Cold would imply unfeeling, that doesn’t sound like a healer to me Lassë “

He desperately wanted to reassure her things would work out favourably, but he didn’t want to lie or instil false hope, should Artemis not still want the same from her. “You are young little witch,” He smiled warmly, pulling his lanky frame up against the wooden head board, “You’ll learn to speak his language and he yours, given time and the desire to understand. I should point out also, I don’t want to stab you so, I can promise not everyone wants to put a dagger in your gut.” He winked , “But my little Lassë wants to know about the Dáire the Wandering Elf’s love life?” He let out and exaggerated breath before grinning, “How long you got? Mind you, I would warn you that obviously my advice may not be great; given I’m over 200 and I’m the only one to grace my bed more than once these days.”

Sure he had a tale or two to tell, but he was somewhat taken a back that she’d asked, and some of those tales could get complicated and he knew he’d come off in a bad light if he was truthful in the retelling of many.
Word count: 278
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat listened, sipping her wine as she absorbed his words. He was right - or at least she hoped he was - that it was perhaps simply time she and Artemis needed, in order to grow into something more substantial. She also smiled as he used her title; she had grown rather fond of it, though no doubt she'd be even happier if she could rise to be a Nuinë like he. "Ah, Dáire ... what would I do without your wisdom? It's a shock that I got this far on my own!" She rubbed her brow, feeling tired. It had been a long day, and she had had a lot of wine over the course of it.

"Don't think though, that I don't see that you're being rather coy in answering my question." She said, raising her brow in amusement. "But I shan't press you ... for now. One day we'll sit down and you can regale me with tales of the great Dáire, Master Ranger and Nuinë of I'l Fana Kelbé!" She grinned. "And I mean it too; I'm tenacious."

She finished her cup. Tomorrow would be a busy day and she had to start working on her part of the scheme to get that thrice damned bracelet. All with a hangover, too; Elves made strong wine! But at least it wasn't Dwarven ale ... she'd not be standing if she'd have been on that all day! "It's good to know I have a true friend in you, Dáire. If we weren't as close as we were, I'd rip the clothes right off you, you know." She gave him a wink as she rose. "Thank you for the pep talk; I'll sleep easier ... well, the wine will probably knock me out, but the words will give me comfort." She gave a small curtsy, grinning as she did. Ny'tha give you sweet dreams, Nuinë."

When she had left, she moved down the hall towards her room, only to find Raen outside, leaning against the wall with his arms folded, humming to himself.

Kat sighed, as she approached. "Honestly, Raen, I'm really not in the mood for ...

"Gifts?" he said, cutting her off, and holding up the bracelet. It hung from his finger, the silver glinting in the light of the lanterns hung in the hall. "Maybe I'll keep it, then." He closed his hand around it. "Though I reckon your Human might take offensive, if I didn't at least try and give it to you!"

Kat had her hand on the door, but his words stopped her. "That's from Artemis?" She said, with some surprise.

Raen offered it to her, his hand outstretched and he gave a low, elegant bow. "He was most upset! I fear you have driven the man mad with sadness! There was murder in his eyes when he left."

She took the bracelet and turned it over in her palm. "It's beautiful," she said. "He came bearing gifts and I tried to give him money for being my lover! I guess my levels of stupidity are reaching new heights."

Raen gave her a look of deep sympathy, which slipped into a wry grin. "But every tree turns green again, once spring attends it! This means you are free to take a lover!" He slid his hand down the wood, then inspected his hands. "It would be a task I would willingly undertake; I have over a century of experience to share."

Kat rolled her eyes and moved his hand from the door frame. "Just because I had a fight with Artemis, does not mean I am going to be jumping into bed with anyone ... even you." She pushed the door open.

"A shame! He seems not to have the same degree of commitment as you. He was more than eager to rustle up the brushes with yours truly!" He gave her a triumphant smile.

Kat shrugged. "Trying to ruffle me won't work," she lied. "Good night, Raen."

"Good night, little Lassë ... dream of me ..."

Kat closed the door, and sighed as she did, gripping the bracelet in her hand. 'So he left my room and immediately went to find another's bed to share?' Kat opened her palm and looked at the bracelet. She might have been interested in the power she could feel gentle thrumming from it, but instead she felt tears prick her eyes. 'Ny'tha damn him', she thought managing to keep any tears from falling. Instead she tossed the bracelet onto the desk and began to strip, having to hold onto a chair as she did, her head swimming.

Nyx croaked at her, and Kat nodded. The raven then fluttered down onto the bed and made herself comfortable next to the pillow.

Kat climbed in, blessing the staff for clean sheets though, before the wine took her, she put her hand over where Artemis' form might have been. She sighed, deep and long, full of sadness, hurt and regret, before allowing herself to plunge into the darkness of sleep.
Word count: 837

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"