A Thief in the Night

Spooky Sundown 2020

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

A Thief in the Night

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis chuckled over-loudly as the mix of drink, Dáire, and the last bit of Lynwood's story finally broke past his pretense of seriousness. He lay his head back against the large Elf's chest and tossed a hand lazily into the air. "I'll tell one now then, but it will be a bit more shiver inducing," he offered with a slow glance at the gathered crowd as a chorus of cheers and mugs went up. The thief had been extremely welcoming of Jacobus' suggestion to host a story circle; after all, stories were what warmed the cold nights of the poor and downtrodden.

With the word of good food, warm fire, and comfortable seats, Artemis had expected perhaps three dozen folks to come around. The fact they'd run out of chairs before the sun had hardly begun to pass its zenith, and had even built a few quick benches that were still full hours later, spoke volumes to how strong the community around the Hall was growing. Miss Hawkins had promised him after sundown, things were going to get a whole lot worse. Artemis had learned well to listen to the woman and now there was a donation box overflowing and they'd expanded outwards into the yard around two more great fires.

As he continued to sweep his focus across the crowd his smile grew. There were others telling stories out in the yard, the blaze of the flames warming even the open space without troubles. It warmed his heart and he had to shake himself from enjoying the sight. "So- as many of you might not know, I wasn't always the fine businessman I am today. I once was a perfectly legal and entirely above board sharer of wealth," the thief began to a chorus of chuckles. He hopped up from his lover's lap and began circling to include all of the gathered folk.

"Now of course, this always comes with its share of troubles, but the real joy is in all the wonderful experiences." He tapped the scar along his cheek and winked before carrying on. "There's a story that goes around every year when the mists coming off the ocean chill to the bone and the nights loom over flickering lamplight sooner and sooner. About why you shouldn't linger in dark alleys, or trust those you only see from the corner of the eye." He flicked a knife into the air, the spinning blade reflecting the roaring fire's light as it tumbled. When it returned to eye-level, he snatched it deftly and hid it away in an instant.

"The story goes that this particular spirit only approaches young women traveling alone in the early evening," he started in again before almost immediately taking a moment to add, "As such, if any ladies are looking to travel about I'm sure we can find a strapping young lad to accompany you. But as I was saying," he started for a third time after the roll of laughter had quieted. "When the suns just setting and the mists keep shawls tugged close, young ladies across Fellsgard will tell stories of a dashing young fellow who offers to guide them away from the deeper alleys and then quickly fades from memory. He's handsome, that they can all agree, he also won't lay a finger on a lady while they travel." He held his hand away from his own arm a short distance and scanned the crowd again.

"If they leave it at that and are on their way, nothing worse comes. It is when the lady offers a repayment that the trouble begins. The mysterious saviour will decline, and the lady remains safe. If she insists though- well then his hand will fall upon her arm," he began, smacking his palm around his own arm and grinning as several people jumped. "His grip is like iron, his fingers like ice. There is no escape now, and the man will step before the lady and doff his cap. His visage is that of a man hanged, the neck at odd angles and the skin sallow." "When he speaks, it is with the buzzing of flies and writhing of maggots," Artemis whispered, forcing everyone to lean in closer. "My dearest, you've offered me something and so I shall have it. I long only for my lover's heart, that she'll never forget our time together," the thief rasped, his voice gurgling and shifting in pitch for the story. "And so I will take your heart my love, and I will keep it always, that our love might never die-"

Artemis held the tense silence for several beats, saying nothing and remaining motionless. "The watch find the bodies covered in frost in the morning; the heart taken but the clothes undamaged beyond a coating of blood. There's never any clues or signs of struggle. And so I warn you all, when you walk in the alleys and the mists grow close as the light fades, do not offer any kindness once refused, or you may find it is the last offer you make."
Word count: 848