Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost [Open}

A young mage escapes a harsh childhood, a vicious tutor, and finds himself lost in the grand city of Fellsguard.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Re: Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost [Open}

Post by Dáire »

Dáire eyed the Fae, who apparently was also a bard, with a little more curiosity and little less suspicion than before. Aretmis practically vibrated on the spot with excitement just in front of him. He’d heard the title before, but hadn't cared to investigate the person behind the name at the time. He’d never really had much time for bard performances, they were more often than not, silver tongued and very forward, two qualities he hadn't held with much regard during his life. Acting as a big brother to Raen over the past 50 years, hadn't really improved his perception of them either.

He took the blade from Artemis silently, cautiously watching over the exchange and letting the light brush of magic wash over him, waiting to see how it affected Artemis. For him it was a pleasant sensation, a comforting warmth that seeped into your skin before dissolving into nothing again. He assumed that may be the kersokan curse at play there. He relaxed as soon as his thief gave his approval, moving away from Dáire slightly and addressing the mass of curious faces who had turned in their seats to watch the exchange between the pair.

Reaching out, he pulled Artemis carefully, but firmly back against him when he’d finished talking, thwarting any ideas Artemis may have been concocting about joining in with the explosion of activity surrounding Vanessa as she hopped onto the table, and then began to sing.

He watched her move, every step, every turn, the words, the music all combining to overwhelm the senses and pull you into the tales she was weaving so expertly. He could see why she had earned the titles she had, no mere averge bard could enthrall a group such as this with a seeming ease as this. He couldn't help but smile at the joy and simple pleasure he could see on the faces of the sailor and locals around him, it had been a kind gesture of the fae to agree to Artemis’ request and treat the people here to a show they ordinarily probably couldn't attend.

He kept silent as a cacophony of voices erupted at her question, waiting for a few moments before releasing Artemis from his grasp, assuming the man would wish to join the others in gushing over the woman and her obvious talents.

Glancing back at Kit, he grinned, the young man's face a picture of blatant admiration and fascination with the striking female. Keeping one eye on Artemis, he moved closer to Kit and sat on an abandoned chair, “I take it you haven't seen many bard performances? Although I must admit, there are few who can put on a show such as she just delivered.” he chuckled, settling back in the chair and watching the unusual hum activity play out before him.
Word count: 476
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit reluctantly turned his eyes from Vanessa as Dáire took a seat beside him. "I was amazing! It was like ma- I mean ... it was amazing." He repeated. "Before today, I had never seen a puppet show, and the only songs I ever heard was my mother when I was little, and she couldn't sing a note! I never saw anything like this, or even dreamed of it! She had everyone completely enthralled!"

While the young mage's face was a picture of delight and wonder, Dáire's expression seemed more measured. Kit scratched his temple, a long time habit when he was nervous, or was planning on asking something beyond an idle question. "Did you enjoy it too, Mister Dáire? Your ... ah. Forgive me, but I'm not really sure what to call your ... I mean, he seems to be your ... mate? Or husband?" He felt utterly ridiculous, and tried to move on as quickly as he could. "Well, Mister Black seems very enthusiastic about the performance. The Professor seems to be very well known. Do you think I could trust her?" He asked, out of the blue, turning to face the tall Elf. "Her offer to teach me with me being ..." he lowered his voice to a whisper. "What I am? Mister Black certainly does not seem - ah, over-keen' on, you know, my sort."
Word count: 227
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis couldn’t help himself, only the firm and loving grasp of Dáire kept him restrained from joining in the wild display. Which was good, because even that gentler pull had made him fill the twinge in his chest and the weakness in his knees. So instead, he settled, leaning against the warm firmness of his lover.

He brought his hands up to tease at the man’s fingers, letting his own gentle caress and knead at the muscles there idly as he fell completely into the bard’s performance. It was something out of the storybooks to be sure, the grandiose movements, the sounds of many instruments, the wild way she used her body to catch the eye.

When the show finished he was the first to shout and break the silence. “True magic, in its purest form, straight from the Fae!” he exclaimed with a broad grin. He’d expected something impressive, but had gotten something he’d never forget. He moved over to help Vanessa down, laughing all the way.

“Lady Bard, that was beyond all my expectations. Please know, you are welcome to East Hall in all hours and days,” he said, a touch breathless as he bowed over her extended hand.
Word count: 207
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c
Race: Fae and Human
Class: Bard and Summoner

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa could feel her heart beating to the pulse of her magic, the rhythm so much faster than her human body was truly ready for. She felt the burning, the power of the magic putting her back together as it tore her apart. The maelstrom in her chest demanded to be recognized, she funneled it all, pushing it away, burying it deep inside with a shuddering gasp.

Then the dangerous man was there, Mister Black, offering out a hand and celebrating like a child at the faire. She smiled weakly, her skin going paler than it should, only hidden by the enchanting fire of her eyes pulling in all who looked at her.

She heard his words, his offer of eternal welcome and swallowed, forcing her presence back into form. In an instant she was demure and sparkling smiles, even as her legs shuddered. “Why thank you Lord of the Hall,” she said with a bow of her head, uncertain she could truly bow for now.

“Please, I would love a drink and a bit of seat for a moment. Is- ah, I’d also like to speak to your newest occupant please,” she said after a moment of intense searching. She wasn’t going to leave Kit here without making sure he’d gotten some instruction.

He was at risk here, and another dead mage in the gutter was perhaps enough to push the Inquisition into the witch hunt they seemed poised for. Artemis seemed to understand something was wrong and helped guide her over to them. She noticed he seemed just as unstable as she, but together they made the walk with a semblance of grace.

“Gentlemen,” she said faintly, the shine of her eyes lighting their faces like a roaring fire. “I need to ensure the young Kit here doesn’t get stabbed soon enough. May we speak together, more privately?” Her expression was not pleading and seemed to brook no discussion. It was not a request.
Word count: 330
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

Daire kept his expression the more pleasant side of neutral as he watched the young mage stumble over his sentences, his unease in their company apparent, “Just Daire, no need for mister or sir with me and hes ..” Daire’s face pinched a little, the big elf glanced back at Artemis who was still busy talking animatedly with the fae, before turning back to Kit, “he’s my lover I suppose, we’re not bound.” His tone of voice was off, but his face didn't betray whatever emotions were flowing through him at that point.

“You should be fine to call him by Artemis, as for the professor- she seems to be trustworthy, i can sense no deception from her, she means what she says to you. Disregard how we interacted at the tavern, she knew of a very private event that no one outside a small selection of elves should even know occured. It- it caught me off guard.” He admitted begrudgingly, not at all happy that someone had managed to do such a thing to him. He has no problem with your people per say, just the magic you can call to you. Stay the spells, don’t cross him and you shouldnt have any trouble with Artemis.” The words a curious combination of warning, and reassurance for the younger man, even though they only looked a few years apart in age, the difference in them was easy to see when Daire’s life experience could be heard in the calm way he spoke and handled the anxious stranger in their home..

Daire glanced back again to check on Artemis, seeing him helping the fae back towards them, her eyes still blazing with a seeming internal fire as she greeted them. He scowled with her next words however, somewhat insulted that she thought he’d allow harm to come to the boy he’d just taken in off the streets. He’d known plenty of Mages over the years and several of them had had less brains than this kid and he’d kept them safe while they foolishly insisted on staying in Fellsgard.

Daire leant down close to Kit’s ear as he rose and whispered, “If Artemis goes to fall, catch him.” Straightening his lithe frame the moment after and moving stiffly to Artemis and Vanessa’s sides. “The room downstairs?” He directed towards Artemis, and on receiving a confirmation, he bent, scooping the fae up in one fluid movement and walked purposely towards the trap door and the privacy of Artemis’ personal room.

The now familiar tunnel was almost pitch black in the quickly waning light, the corridor now happily clear of bunks, removing the possibility of anyone colliding with the mattress’, frames or walls. Elves had superior vision over humans, and Daire could still faintly make out the walls and the dark shadow that was the door further down the corridor. “Stay close to Artemis.” He instructed back over his shoulder, he could feel his lovers’ heat lingering at his back,his hand resting lightly just above his ass and knew that kit had been the last one to step off the ladder.

They arrived at the dark, solid wooden door and Daire let Vanessa slip from his arms, setting her to the side. Taking the key he could barely see from Artemis outstretched pal, he slid it into the lock, jiggling it a bit until the mechanism clicked and the door swung inwards. The dark room beyond them cool and foreboding until he stepped through the doorway, setting the key on the small table and opening the lantern that sat there. Warm light flooded the space and he moved further into the small room, the bed set off to one side against a wall, Artemis' small table, which had seen many better years never mind days along with a few chairs off the other side of the room. Daire took a seat on the bed leaning back against the far wall with feigned disinterest and watched the fae, awaiting what the young woman was going to spout out, after insinuating they’d allow harm to come to Kit.
Word count: 695
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Class: Wizard

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit could barely believe what was happening right now. He had started that day wandering where he would end up, and if you had told him it would be in a pitch black tunnel with an Elf, a Fae and a some Master of some kind of strange, eclectic establishment, he would have not have believed a word.

But here he was, following as close to Artemis as they walked, apologising once or twice when he near bumped into the man. He had nodded silently at Dáire's instruction to "catch" Artemis, if the man was to fall. It seemed an odd request, as Artemis looked as lithe as a dancer, but why not? Nothing seemed to make sense, here!

When they finally got to the room, Kit was relieved to get some semblance of light. The dark tunnel had unnerved him - after all, who ever heard of anything happening to a boy from the country following people who could easily kill him into a completely dark place? - but they were now in a room with no windows and Kit seemed to be a focal point for everyone's attention. He was already flushing!

He took a few steps in, just as Dáire sat down on the bed, his eyes on Vanessa. Kit glanced around at the room, scratching his temple a little. "This ... this is, nice." He said, nervously. His eyes going from Artemis to Vanessa, before simply averting them and trying to act as if he were just looking about - and not absolutely terrified.
Word count: 259
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis was exhausted suddenly, he felt like he’d been exhausted for days. He would rest, Dáire would rub him lovingly with that wonderful cream the Doctor recommended, and then halfway through the day he felt like a cripple. He saw the same exhaustion in the bard and had stumbled his way over with the Fae, together they moved almost like a functional person.

Then there was a decree and he narrowed his eyes, wondering at just what trouble the two mages were about to bring down. Dáire took control and Artemis followed, watching his lover carry the woman easily. He felt only a small twinge of jealousy as the Kerasokan’s lithe muscles moved away.

When they got into the room he moved to settle beside, and then atop Dáire, taking comfort in the other man’s strength and warmth. He was planning to remain straight faced and distant for the talk, but then Kit had to open his mouth.

Artemis laughed, a sharp bark as he waved his hand. “If I’d known you were coming I would have dusted,” he said before laughing so hard that his chest hurt and he couldn’t breathe. His laugh filled the room until tears welled in his eyes and he sighed. “Sorry- long day, bad joke,” he offered to a slightly annoyed looking Vanessa.
Word count: 227
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa just kept herself from yelping in surprise or unleashing a dazzling spell when Dáire swept her up. Between the Kerasokan and the Lord they could easily kill her, but she’d not been expecting her exhaustion to be so noticeable or the response to be so dramatic. She was carried over and helped to a large hatch in the floor that led into complete darkness.

Her eyes illuminated the ladder as she moved down and then Dáire picked her up again, carrying her down some stone steps to a door where he finally released her. There was some fumbling, and then the Elf stepped in and light suddenly flooded the space.

She shuffled out of the way, standing near the table and chairs as Dáire moved in to settle on the bed and Artemis followed after. Then Kit was in and she closed the door just as the young mage attempted to make small talk. The tension of the room broke, Mister Black laughing like a child at the absurdity.

She frowned at him slightly and he apologised, going quiet finally. “Well, thank you kindly regardless. First, please understand I do not doubt your ability to physically protect young Kit. My concern, as a representative of the mage’s and a half-Fae are purely selfish.”

She leaned against the table and let out a slow breath. “If Kit does something worthy of attracting the Inquisition, or is caught with a knife in his gut things get worse for all of us. He is clearly wildly inexperienced and lacks any understanding of the true danger of his powers. Otherwise he would not mention he was a mind mage in a place that is liable to have more eyes and ears than a figurehead carver’s.”

Her emotions had gotten ahead of her a bit, but she forced them down again, a trickle of her wings fading into nothing as she did. "I would like to instruct him, at least in the basics of the city, a modified orientation."

She looked around at them all, not forcing her presence out but also clearly not willing to accept a straight rejection. "Is this acceptable?"
Word count: 365
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

Daire watched the fae through narrowed eyes as she spoke, wrapping his arms around Artemis tenderly, having seen the exhaustion painted across his face as he’d collapsed into him. He was worried, his lover was young, he shouldn't feel so tired after a relatively inactive day at home. He tried to hide it but knew his thief saw the concern in his gaze each evening. He felt a shudder ripple through him and gently pulled Artemis closer, it gave him a small amount of comfort while Vanessa prattled on in her high handed way about the boyds safety and lack of street awareness.

He sighed exasperatedly, “So you assumed that I offered to take in a obviously naive young mage, to my home, my lovers’ home no less and would risk his drawing attention to us or drawing in people that may jeopardise what Artemis has built here?” His voice had gone cold, flat, his irritation seeping into his tone as he continued.”For such a young fae you presume a lot, I knew well what I was taking on when I made the offer to the boy. If he wishes to learn these skills from you or someone else is totally up to him. We are not his keepers to make such decisions.” Daire flexed his neck as he broke the eye contact, desperately trying to relieve the tension that had crept into his body . He dropped his head, burying his face the the crook of Artemis’ neck for a moment and inhaling deeply, grounding himself once more before his temper began to fray too much. He had to remind himself that it wasn't a deliberate attempt to provoke him, this woman was used to being the authoritative figure and for someone who recognised no superior, none that weren't an almost parent figure to him anyway; he just wasn't responding to it well.
Word count: 315
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa watched Dáires reaction far closer than Artemis’. The lord of the hall seemed exhausted, weakened, and had perhaps yielded the decision. His lover seemed annoyed, and then irate, and then almost hostile. He responded to her in the end though, berating her for her request and claiming it was up to Kit.

“Then I take it you know of the Inquisitorial query regarding the hall in relation to magical acts? That you understand how to suppress and hide a talent of such possibility?” her voice was like ice to his fiery annoyance. “When you look at me, you see magic, you can feel it, I can see it in your eyes. What you feel is what I allow to be felt.”

Vanessa released her control the slightest fraction. There was the sound of fire, the crack and crumble of wood being turned to ember and ash, the scent of burning filled the room and a sense of heat flooded outward. Then, before anyone had blinked, it was gone, and all that remained was the gentle sense of Fae magic.

Vanessa had a hand at her side, no threat in her features, merely a display of what cards she held, and a hint at the dangers they faced unknowingly. “I do not doubt your prowess or wisdom, Dáire of East Hall. I doubt your understanding and offer a solution. But, as you have said, it is up to the mage to decide.”
Word count: 244