Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost [Open}

A young mage escapes a harsh childhood, a vicious tutor, and finds himself lost in the grand city of Fellsguard.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost [Open}

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit tied the donkey, giving her a pat on the neck as he pulled the bags free and rubbed his eyes. He was tired. He was always tired.
Jess huffed at him, and he scratched her forehead. “I know, girl.”

With a sigh, he moved off.

The market was especially busy today, and Kit looked around curiously. He had the list from his master in his pocket and knew he ought to just get what was on there and return at once. His master did not like Kit being in the village too long, he seemed to think he would be ‘sullied’ by the “simpletons and unwashed idiots” that resided there.

Personally, Kit liked most of them. Most of them seemed to like him. Most of them.

“Mistress Marii,” Kit said, approaching the stall of a stout woman who sold vegetables. “Good morning to you.”

Marii looked up with a warm smile. “Oh, hello Kit! Same as usual? Thought so! And yes, I know better than to try and convince you to try something else. That man you work for has a very boring sense of food.”

Kit smiled and nodded. “If it were up to me, I’d try everything I could.” He looked over to a small group of people gathered round a cart. “Who is that?” He asked, curiously. The cart was quite large, and the man seemed to be selling from it. It wasn’t often a travelling merchant would visit a little village such as this.

“Oh, some peddler of oddments and useless items, I bet.” Mistress Marii did not seem to be too enthused. “Folks’ll barter good useful tools and stock for a shiny bauble that’ll do them no good. Here.”

Kit looked back and took the bag, wincing a little as the blistered skin on his back pulled. He gave her a smile at her concerned look, and handed over the coppers. “Thank you, Mistress Marii.” He glanced back at the cart. “I might just take a look.”

As he moved off, she called after him. “Don’t be taken in by him, I can smell a scoundrel a mile off, and that one stinks!”

The man had a hatch on the side of his cart, which he had opened, and on display were many things. Cheap jewellery, some very tattered books, incense, and a few shiny stones which Kit immediately could tell were simply just various kinds of quartz. In his studies and practice, Kit used stones that could buy this entire village! But the folks gathered round looked at them as if they were diamonds.

For a while, he listened to the man spinning tales about this item or that, about dangerous delves he had found them in, or from ancient elven gardens where he had once travelled. Kit couldn’t help but grin at the enthusiasm he told these obvious lies, and at the sounds of wonder from the small crowd.

“But my time here has to be ended, my friends!” The merchant called. “I must away, so last chance to take home something splendid to enrich your very souls! For now I travel to Fellsguard, where I shall dine with the Lords and Ladies, and tell them of this wonderful and generous place.”
For a moment Kit stared at the man. Fellsguard. He turned away, and found himself a little breathless, dizzy almost.

Through his mind flashed an image, an image of himself, topless and on his knees with his hands behind his head. His master was standing just to the side of him, raising the thin switch and then letting it fall onto the young man’s scarred back.

Kit put a hand to his head, shaking it as if he could shake the image from his mind. But he could not, for the switch was as much a part of his life as eating or sleeping. It was daily. When he failed at any minor thing, the switch was there. It could be one or twenty lashes, that never mattered anymore, not after all these years.

He snapped out of his reverie, and looked up to see the crowd slowly dispersing. A small few were comparing their purchases and the man was packing away.

Kit’s heart began to beat hard in his chest as something seemed to take over him. He must have been sweating as he stepped forward to the man. The merchant’s back was to him and Kit took small shallow breaths of nervousness, fear, and excitement. From the back of his belt, hidden by a modest cloak, Kit took out what looked to be a slender stick. It had been shaved and polished, and was decorated with strange intricate patterns. He glanced around him, and when he found a moment where no one was looking, he pointed the wand, for that was exactly what it was, at the man’s back, and muttered something.

The man stood straight immediately.

Kit shoved the wand quickly back into his belt and donned a polite smile. “Good day to you, sir. I am Kit Heron.”

The man looked a little confused for a moment, his brow furrowed. Then he blinked and looked up at the young mage. “Sorry, lad. I was leagues away for a moment then! I’m afraid. How can I help? I’m afraid I’m just packing up for the day and-”

“Oh no, I don’t want to buy anything.” Kit said, quickly. “You’re going to Fellsguard and,” he hesitated feeling a knot in his stomach, “you were going to take me with you, remember?”

As the merchant stared at him, Kit felt himself holding his breath. The man looked confused again, and then he gave a short laugh. “Well, I’ll be buggered if I know what’s gotten into me today! Sorry lad!”

Kit’s heart sank.

“But I had completely forgot about that!”

Kit’s head snapped up.

“We’ll be off in a few minutes so better grab your bag! Spent a bit longer than I had intended to here.”

At first, Kit just stared. He knew the spell inside and out, theoretically. But he had never used it on someone before. And it had worked! “Yes, yes!” He said, grinning like a fool. “I’ll be just a moment. Just one short moment.”

He turned took off running, nearly falling into Marii’s stall.

“Mind how you go, young Kit!” Marii said, startled!

Kit’s heart and mind were going faster than a racing horse. “Jess … the donkey. She’s yours.”

Marii put her hands on her hips and shook her head. “What you talking about?”

“She’s tied up by the trough. Have her. I’m leaving.” He wasn’t really sure what he was saying. “If my master comes looking for me, don’t try and tell him you didn’t see me or anything. Don’t lie to him.”

Marii looked completely confused.

“Just … I have to go.” He took her warm hand, and then gave her a quick hug. She had always been kind to him. Her face was a picture of incredulity. “Thank you for everything.”

Then he turned and ran back to the merchant.

The miles went by at a sedate pace. The back of the cart was horribly uncomfortable, and the roads round here were hardly smooth. But still. Kit was leaving. He would be free.

[text-align]⁂[/text-align]

When he was first taken from his home, his new master had put him through many ‘tests’.

“These will see what kind of wizard you shall be, boy.” He had said.
It hadn’t taken long.

“Mental. Interesting. Not ideal, but it has potential and could prove useful. A more practical kind of magic. Low magic, in my opinion. But with study, the right equipment and tools, you could become very useful to me. You will be able to control the minds of others. You will be able to move things with your mind. Well, you know you can do that after you threw your father through a wall. It’s a base magic, in my opinion, but it is magic nonetheless, which makes you better than most of the grubby little nobodies in this region. First we shall get you a conduit. A staff? No! A wand, for you I think. A staff reserved for those of more noble disciplines. There is a book on the shelf that will guide you in the making of such. You begin today. Fail, and you will be punished. Succeed, and you will be permitted to succeed again. Well? What are you waiting for?! Move, boy!”

The young mage had had to use the spell at least another five or six times as they travelled. The merchant would sometimes wake up and demand to know who he was and what he was doing in his cart!

Kit would produce the wand, speak the spell and their journey continued.

It was an arduous process, but it was much better than the alternative. Three days of travel. Three days were now the longest he had ever gone since his master had bought him from his mother at the age of 14, so he could never complain at the lack of sleep or the bruised bottom from the bumpy cart.

When they reached sight of Fellsguard, Kit was in awe, staring as the city came into view. He never knew buildings could be so high! He found himself laughing excitedly, gaining him a puzzled look from the merchant. But Kit didn’t care. Fellsguard meant freedom.

Stepping down out of the carriage, Kit was taken aback at the sheer number of people there were! Everyone rushing too and fro, as if they were on a mission for their lives! And the noise! People shouting, the odd voice raised in anger, sellers calling out, people chatting as they went about their day.

“Well, good luck lad.”

Kit turned to face the merchant. He felt so guilty at what he had done to this unsuspecting man, and he tried to think of a way to repay the debt and soothe his own conscience. He fumbled at his belt. “I have some coin-”

The merchant reached out and put a hand on Kit’s shoulder. “Keep it. You need coin here. It’s been good travelling with you, and nice to have a bit of company on the road. Good luck with, what did you say you were coming here for again?”

Kit bit his lip, trying to remember what he said. “Relatives!” He blurted out. Then cleared his throat. “My aunt.”

The merchant nodded. “That’s right. I hope she gets better. Mayhaps our paths will cross again. Idols be with you, ah, I-”

“Kit.” The mage shook the man’s hand. “And they be with you, also.”

And then, after watching them vanish into the bustle of the city, Kit Heron turned to look around him. He had no idea where he was, what he should do, or where he should go.

But at least he was free.

“‘Scuse me.” A young woman knocked into him. The pretty young woman was dressed in ragged clothing, and her face was dirty.

“Sorry!” Kit said, automatically.

She shrugged. “No harm done.” And she vanished into the crowd.

A few hours of wandering later, he realised his coin-purse was gone.

Kit’s shoulders slumped. “Oh, Veditova. What do I do now?"
Last edited by Kit Heron on March 8th, 2020, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 1911
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c
Race: Fae and Human
Class: Bard and Summoner

Re: Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost (anyone who wants to, is invited to join)

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa felt rather grumpy today as she moved her way through the dense flowing crowds of citizens and visitors near the gates of Fellsgard. The wind snapped with the promise of future chill and so she’d worn her heavy winter clothing, only to discover the promise had been false and begin sweating immediately before she was halfway to her destination.

She was out for another informative show, the sort House Nyshasa paid for with an education fund that was given out by lottery to all manner of lower and middle class establishments. She both loved and loathed these shows.

The look of joy on the audiences faces was often much brighter and open than at the more refined show. In the same breath, ignorance could be rampant and accusations of magic or witchcraft were not uncommon. She’d had to remove several establishments from the official list when the staff failed to deal with the ruckus.

So here she was, carrying her puppetry pack - all brightly painted woods and carvings in a compact form - wearing a set of heavy winter clothing - on a rather warm and pleasant day - and sliding through crowds of people only by the grace of the sharp wooden edges of her gear.

She grunted in annoyance and moved out into the middle of a small square, lifting her hands to her mouth and giving out a shout. “Hear ye, hear ye, those wishing to partake of a free and informative show at the grace of House Nyshasa shall follow me to that establishment there.” She pointed sharply to a place across the way, waited a beat, and then strode forward again, moving up and in to the tavern to find the staff.
Word count: 291
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Re: Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost (anyone who wants to, is invited to join)

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit wandered aimlessly for a while. So much was uncertain. Where would he sleep? How would he get food? What was he going to do?

But one thing he was completely sure of was this: he was exactly where he needed to be. He felt it in his bones, and if at all he needed a reminder, the tugging of the healing, blistered skin on his back was enough to strengthen him.

But his attention was drawn as a voice cried out: “Hear ye, hear ye, those wishing to partake of a free and informative show at the grace of House Nyshasa shall follow me to that establishment there.”

Kit's followed the voice, coming out of the alley where he had been feeling a little sorry for himself, and into a small square. He saw a woman marching into tavern, carrying with her something that furthered his curiosity. There were a fair few people about, but something told him that that voice belonged to her. It carried something in it, and he felt compelled to follow. The way she marched into the tavern was as a woman who seemed proud and determined. He could also feel something. Magic?

Moving through the crowd, apologising (even when it was people pushing past him), he stepped through the door into the tavern.

He kept his eyes on her while he took a seat, hoping that the serving staff there would ignore him.

"What you having?"

Kit hadn't been lucky. "Oh. I'm still deciding. I'll call when I do. He said, lamely.

The woman grunted. "Not much to choose from in here, lad."

He gave her an apologetic smile. "I'll be just a moment."

She grunted again and moved off.

Meanwhile, Kit's eyes returned to the woman. Something in his gut told him that a person like her, was the very reason he was in a city like this. He watched with anticipation, wondering what he was about to witness (and thanking Veditova that whatever it was, it was free!).
Word count: 336
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire scowled as he scanned the busy market street, the humans were out in droves, scuttling across the cobbles like ants around a nest. Were humans breeding shorter? Everytime he moved it seemed he was tripping over someone as small as a fae might be. He grumbled under his breath as he made to move on once more.

He’d set out this morning at dawn, it had begun as a short, voluntary errand to pick up a few herbs from the healers hall for one of workmen within Artemis’ warehouse but had turned into a hunt as fruitful as a search for hens teeth. “What I get for trying to integrate” He grated sullenly, his mood as dark as the heavy snow clouds that were slowly drifting across the sky, a cool breeze nipping at his cheeks, chasing away the pleasant , unseasonal heat that had been in the air all morning, a stark reminder that winter wasn't done with them yet.

A womans’ voice called out, pulling his attention away from his frustrated thoughts. The woman was small, even for a human, ‘Fae perhaps?’ he couldn’t be sure from this distance but his curiosity was peaked, the items she carried were curious, and drew him towards the tavern she’d gracefully slipped into. He wouldn’t ever call himself an academic, but free knowledge? Only fools passed up on such opportunities.

He navigated his way across the square, all but shoving some ignorant men out of the way at times as they stood like statues, like their feet had grown roots and they were incapable of movement and set on blocking everyone's paths- ‘Last time I volunteer to go into the city proper’.

Inside the tavern was thankfully much warmer than it had been outside, a fire crackled somewhere in the back, the smell of burning wood and peet mingled in the air with the usual ale and smoke. He glanced around the bustling tavern for a seat which were in short supply, he had evidently been one of many who wished to take advantage of the generous offer. Finally he spotted a free space beside a young human, the manys freckle dusted face looked eager and oh so very young. Settling quietly beside the man, he caught the attention of the bar staff, the maid looked away briefly before heading his direction - but then only approached the human beside him, of whom seemed uncomfortable at her attention. It was only then he noticed how tired the man looked, his hair a bit disheveled, smudges under his eyes, the overall picture was what he would guess at being travel weariness.

Dáire felt his earlier scowl returning as she turned to walk away again after the man had skirted around ordering anything, “Miss,“ He said loudly to be heard over the constant murmur of voices, “Two of whatever is least likely to make us ill please.” The maid looked back at him with a frown, but nodded her head and headed towards the bar, returning to them moments later with two glasses with questionable contents. Dáire took the two glasses from her, handing over a few copper which lacked the tip the maid was apparently expecting from him. He smiled cooly before diverting his attention once more.

“Here,” Dáire said a bit gruffly, holding one of the large glasses in front of the young human, ”You looked as though you may need it.”
Word count: 579
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit's eyes widened slightly as the Elf stepped into the tavern and then settled into a seat beside him.

He had seen Elves around on arrival, and had even met one once who was passing through the village nearby his master's house, but despite desperately wanting to, he had never gotten a chance to her.

"Good day." He said, politely, as the Elf settled down.

When the tall man ordered drinks for them both, Kit glanced up at him. "I really do. I mean. Thank you! I'm afraid I won't be able to return your generosity, master Elf." He took a quick drink, resisting the urge to drink it all at once. It was delicious. "And I had forgotten my manners. I am Kit Heron. I just got here ... in Fellsguard I mean."

The young mage stood out among the city-folk. He had a kind face and eyes that spoke of a genuine, honest person. Obviously not a resident of a place like this. There was, however, a shadow over him. His smile was easy, but each time the door slammed, or someone hit a table with their drink, he would flinch slightly. Nerves or fear. It might be either.

"I'll repay you. Somehow." He turned to watch the woman putting up her equipment. "Do you know what this is?" He asked.
Word count: 222
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa made sure to catch the eye of the bar staff immediately, very aware she was liable to be half trampled if she stayed at the door. They looked confused for a moment until she removed her fur-lined hood. Recognition dawned and they hurried to clear a few tables for her before bringing her a pitcher of clean water.

“My thanks,” she said softly as she wiped the sweat and clinging hair from her brow. She didn’t much care what the people in the room thought as long as she could get out of her oppressive gear and set to work.

There were of course several gasps at the loud thump of her puppet box near bouncing off the creaking wood floor. She was somewhat careless with the box, knowing it was masterfully crafted and would keep it’s contents safely packed such that even running down a dragon couldn’t jostle them.

With that dropped, she moved to remove her dense clothing, working efficiently, but struggling with the sweat on her hands, she piled up the dense and fur covered materials onto a cleared table. There were several murmurs and even an appreciative whistle that made her roll her eyes.

Had she not been so annoyed she might have indulged them a bit. Given the company, she imagined a demonstrably strong woman drenched in sweat was likely not an uncommon fantasy among the crowd. She shook her head, a wry smile of amusement at the thought showing the faintest hint of teeth.

Without further time wasting, she set to work, unpacking and assembling her stage quickly. The rough form, a box not entirely unlike a toll-taker’s booth, was built quickly before she needed to ask the help of the staff. Her still faintly damp hands were not suitable for the final cover.

She got two of the servers to come, after ensuring they’d washed and dried well, and together they got the final cover laid over her contraption before she settled in.
Word count: 336
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire’s eyebrows found a home somewhere in his hair line as the young human spoke to him , he was so formal, truly trying to engage in honest polite conversation as well. This was unexpected. He almost laughed, if Artemis heard him being referred to as ‘Master elf’,he doubted he ever hear the end of it.

“I’m Dáire,” He said, nodding his head in greeting, watching the curious man closely for a few moments. It had been obvious as soon as he spoke he wasn't from Fellsgard, idols, he sometimes wondered if some of its residents even had a grasp on their primary language nevermind his level. He turned his attention back to the suspected fae, as she set up her props towards the back of the establishment. “Dont worry about it, someday you may be able to do the same for another.” His mouth quirked into a faint smile,not doubting the overly friendly, if perhaps naive, man would offer kindness to others in the years to come. “ I do not,” He answered, “but it looked intriguing, perhaps we may learn something this day that may save our skins another.”

Dáire was aware the young man flinched front time to time, the action speaking of a past that belied the bright exterior shown to the world. An act Dáire almost envied the young man for.
Word count: 232
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Re: Blissfully Free and Hopelessly Lost [Open}

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit scratched behind his ear awkwardly. He felt like an uncouth country idiot, despite his years of education under a very intelligent (if extremely sadistic) wizard.

"It is very good to meet you, Dáire." Kit said, with a smile. The Elf's demeanour might not be inviting long conversations or long exchanges of pleasantries, but Kit was nothing if not relentlessly friendly. Eagerness to please was imprinted on his very soul: it was something his master had chastised him for, for years. The beatings and the ever present switch on his back had not diminished it, however. "I do hope I'll be able to help people, someday. It's why I came here. Mostly." He pushed that thought out of his mind. He would not let his old master ruin his new life, even if it was just in idle conversation.

"Once I find somewhere to stay I can begin-" He stopped talking as his eyes went back to the dark haired woman, who was taking off her coat, bring a few whistles and calls from some of the patrons who might have had a few drinks beforehand.

Kit could understand why. She was beautiful. She might have been the most striking woman he had ever seen. Her dark hair, those eyes. That body. All wrapped in something mystical. He might be a young mage, but he knew enough to know that this was no ordinary woman. "She's .... she is magnificent!" He breathed, oblivious of the Elf beside him in that moment.
Word count: 251
Vanessa LaNore
Character
Seeker of Legends
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Vanessa LaNore »

Vanessa peered through the small and well hidden peephole of her puppet stage, taking in the crowd from this new vantage was always an interesting affair. People often looked rather strange when you sat at the height of a child, and yet their eagerness, apprehension, and even occasional boredom remained on plain display.

‘Along with the underside of many noses,’ Vanessa thought wryly as she neared the end of the crowd. It was often difficult to spot the further members, but children, of which there were few today it seemed, would congregate at the front naturally. She was just about to begin her show when she caught the dizzying height of an elf at a distant table.

Dáire was painfully clear in her memories. She’d watched the Elven ceremony so many times over that it bordered with her favorite play from her youth in familiarity. She had written a book about the events, one entirely anonymous to protect her while still not denying the world knowledge.

It should be placed into the academy libraries records soon enough with little fanfare, but the markings she’d used, ‘critical’ and ‘historic’ would ensure it was duplicated and kept safe. Vanessa gave herself a shake before peeking out of her curtain and catching the attention of the waiting wench.

“Miss, the Kerasokan and boy in the back, please let them know I would speak with them afterwards and offer them my compliments,” she said with a winning smile. The woman nodded, clearly distracted by Vanessa’s eyes.

With that done, the Fae ducked back into her stage and prepared the puppetry. Sir Archibald gave only a single creak of complaint as she ran him through his paces. When she was satisfied, she let loose a single resounding clap. The entire tavern went still as the strangeness of the echo seemed to force a tentative silence.
Word count: 314
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit sipped his drink beside the tall, brooding Elf. He might have felt uncomfortable, but the excitement of being in the city was still with him and now the anticipation of this show, whatever it was going to be, made him bite his lip in anticipation.

"I wonder what it will-"

A hush fell across the room, and Kit found himself leaning forwards, almost holding his breath. Maybe to others, this was just a show in a tavern, but for someone like him, who had never even set foot in one, let alone see a show of any kind, it was like a toddler first tasting sweets, and it had not even begun.

The image of the woman was almost burned his mind. Years of mental training did that sometimes, especially when something of interest caught his attention. And by Veditova! She would probably be in his head for a very, very long time.
Word count: 154