Corr Blackbeam

Shapeshifting Spy-for-Hire

Do you have a story in mind that makes you rub your hands together in nefarious glee, but sadly no one to play it with? Post your plots here (evilness not required) and see who might be interested! Or, if you have a check list of adventurous tasks, tracking topics are welcome as well.
Corr Blackbeam
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Shapeshifter
Class: Alchemist and Rogue

Corr Blackbeam

Post by Corr Blackbeam »

Player: May

Contact: However, wherever – post here, @ me on Discord or PM me. I'm easy!

Corr Blackbeam

Race: Shapeshifter and Human

Class: Rogue and Alchemist

Personality:

Corr is:
  • A loner
  • Cynical and sardonic
  • Watchful and wary, unless drunk
  • Suspicious
  • Good at passing unnoticed
  • Sarcastic
  • Increasingly independent/desirous of freedom
  • Resentful of the wealthy
  • Somewhere between Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral, probably
Background:

The man known as Corr Blackbeam was born to a shapeshifting courtesan, though he does not know this. Soon after his birth, his mother left him on the doorstep of a manor house in Fellsgard; the home of a rich, upstanding couple who, it was known by many in the area, had not been able to have children of their own. Sadly, they never set eyes on the baby. He was snatched by a passing gang of street children; young thieves with ragged clothes and dirty faces who took him to their hideaway to tease and play with him.

By some miracle, the children managed to keep Corr alive, thanks in large part to the older ne'er-do-wells that occasionally passed through their hiding place. And as the months passed, the children noticed something rather odd about him. There were ravens living in the rafters of the decrepit space they called home. Corr would spend hours staring at them, and every now and then would sprout a few black feathers or emit a screeching cry. Their little charge, it seemed, had shifter blood.

This made Corr suddenly very valuable. For what better way to sneak into a merchant’s home than by transforming into a raven, or a rat? It was not long before word reached the leader of a rogues' guild, who visited the hovel to inspect the shapeshifting waif. What happened next can be easily guessed at. The infant was given a name – ‘Corr’ after the bird sounds he often made, and ‘Blackbeam’ after the rafters he spent so long gazing up at – and was taken to the guild’s headquarters, to be raised communally and used as a scout. Taught to sneak and scurry and evade being seen, he grew into a capable rogue. But as he left his teens and progressed through his twenties, he found himself dissatisfied with general thievery.

It was not a strong moral streak that underpinned his discontent. He resented the wealthy as much as the next rogue on the street. No – it was simply boredom, and a sense that his training and abilities could be put to more interesting, and more lucrative, use. He began to take on spying jobs. Through whispered rumour, he attracted more and more influential clients, some among the governing class. He had soon carved out something of a niche for himself: the raven-shifter who could uncover a rival's juiciest secrets. For a price, of course.

The income from these contracts has allowed Corr to dabble in alchemy – a recent addition to his roguish repertoire. Explosives are a useful distraction in jobs that go awry. And a dab or two of sleeping potion can be invaluable in his line of work. But he is still an amateur in this area; it is his shapeshifting powers that give him the real edge – rarely do people suspect the bird perched nearby to be listening in on their conversation.

Recently, Corr has been spending less time at the guild headquarters and more time in taverns or roosting on rooftops. He has begun to resent the guild taking a cut of everything he earns. Striking out on his own is looking increasingly attractive, even perhaps leaving Fellsgard. But it won’t be easy to cut ties with the organisation that raised him, and which wields such power in the city’s underbelly…

Relationships:

Corr likely has a few friends, allies and enemies already around Fellsgard, with the potential to gain more.

There’s the guild, of course, which is the closest thing he has to family. He’d likely know many of its members well, having been raised by it. But I’m sure he has a rival or two among their number, too.

Having spent his entire thirty-three years in the city, there are probably others he’s familiar with: seedy tavern owners, gamblers, the proprietors of shops where he procures alchemical ingredients…

As for his line of work – spying for money – there’s plenty of opportunity there for contacts, as well as enemies. A number of his jobs have gone awry in the past, angering both target and client. It’s feasible that there are some out there who are after his blood.

On the romantic side, Corr is heterosexual. He's grown pretty used to spending time alone, but there's potential for a romance plot if the characters fit. I’d say he probably also has an ex-lover or two out there somewhere in Fellsgard.

So, to sum up…

Potential Ideas:
  • Fellow rogues’ guild members, friend or foe
  • Former thieving target or client, potentially aggrieved
  • Former spying target or client, potentially aggrieved
  • Anyone who wants some thieving or spying done XD
  • A well-travelled character with fantabulous stories who might spark Corr’s interest in leaving Fellsgard…
  • Other shapeshifters, who he perhaps meets/explores with in animal form (yay!)
  • Ex-lover/ex-love
  • Romantic interest going forward – bonus if it’s angsty, I do love angst!
  • Something linked to Corr’s mother or father? This is probably my vaguest area, but if you have an idea, throw it my way!
Disclaimer: These are just a few ideas that have been pinging around in my brain. I’m open to roleplaying most anything, though, so if Corr could feed into or get involved in any plans you have for your own character(s), let me know! I’m super excited to cook something up.

In the meantime, he'll probably be hanging around Mac's tavern in Fellsgard.
Last edited by Corr Blackbeam on August 7th, 2019, 4:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Corr Blackbeam
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Re: Corr Blackbeam

Post by Corr Blackbeam »

Thread Tracker

Open Storylines
Closed Storylines

Nothing yet...

Wanted Ads

Nothing yet...
Last edited by Corr Blackbeam on August 7th, 2019, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slaine
Character
Meddler
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Fae and Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Slaine »

Hey, I'd like to offer you Slaine! Her pops made a lot of bad decisions giving her the best opportunities he could and made a lot of his money in less than savory ways to pay for it (and definitely pissed some people off doing it). He'd probably roll over in his grave to see his perfect baby interacting with the Thieves Guild, honestly.

Despite being super well read she has approximately zero street smarts or real life experience but has decided to try her hand at being a Real Adventurer(tm), not unlike Cecilia since she's decided that it's time to leave the nest, so to speak. I can see the two of them getting into mischief and possibly being really terrible influences on one another simply because a lot of Slaine's motivation for doing stuff is an inappropriately inflated sense of confidence and a lot of terrible ideas.
Corr Blackbeam
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Corr Blackbeam »

Hello hello! Slaine looks awesome. 8D

So, if there's one thing Corr definitely has, it's street smarts. So Slaine's lack thereof could lead to some pretty amusing interactions! Equally, having looked at Slaine's profile, 'always seeming to be in some stage of an investigation' could play off of Corr's line of work (spying) rather well. Having visions of them attempting (or running into each other during) a super delicate job / situation that requires subtlety...

Corr is pretty suspicious (at least initially) of magic and magic-users, simply because it's forbidden in Fellsgard and he tries, as far as possible, not to associate with people that might draw the attention of the authorities, but he's definitely not shocked by it like a lot of Fellsgard's citizens would be, having had various encounters with wizards in his line of work / travels through the city's underbelly.

Anyway - definitely up for some threading! If you have a particular idea in mind or something you wanna try, let me know. Otherwise, happy to start one in Fellsgard, possibly with Corr in the middle of some sort of spying job (haven't RP'd that yet so would be kind of cool)!
Slaine
Character
Meddler
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Fae and Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Slaine »

They could absolutely be spying! Possibly as rivals or unintentional associates or even just Slaine being like "hey whatcha doin'?" And following bird boy around for the hell of it because, hey that's how adventures start, right? Harassing strange animals?

And yes absolutely the being suss of her reality bending nonsense! I imagine she probably have a few good sneakiness bones in her body that might make her seem less like a liability but really she only knows about the "danger" of it from Nigel being a mother hen, though you know I suppose it'll all depend on the situation!

I really like that spying idea a lot, however! Im sure we can cobble together a good bit of shenanigans by pursuing that route!
Corr Blackbeam
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Corr Blackbeam »

Awesome, I'll get a post up as soon as poss once I've pondered on something suitably fun/intriguing... :D